What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Wind Ratings

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
Once Irma gets close, I will probably be stuck at work for the duration, so I need to make a decision soon if I am going to relocate the RV. My hangar in Zephyrhills is apr 30 miles inland from the west central FL coast, and a relatively new, fully enclosed steel T-hangar. I have a feeling it would hold up to all but the worst conditions, and am optimistic that it is far enough inland to be spared the worst of it.

That being said, can anybody provide any info on what type of conditions I can expect my hangar to withstand? Have contacted the airport but no information yet...

Chris

Last edited:
Hurricane

I live in Peachtree City, GA and just saw today's 6 minute presentation on hurricane tracking from the NWS here in Peachtree City. Most all models show it tracking towards Miami then swinging up the middle of Florida. Regardless of where it goes, they forecast major winds throughout Georgia.

Of course, it may change drastically. by this weekend.

The folks at Wentworth Aircraft Salvage once told me that about half the salvage inventory they buy comes from aircraft that was parked in hangars.

The folks at Wentworth Aircraft Salvage once told me that about half the salvage inventory they buy comes from aircraft that was parked in hangars.

Wow a little googling came up with some terrifying images. Sounds like my decision just got easier. Thank you

Chris

Build to code in the area you are building. You can certainly go beyond, but that may or may not give you more protection.

We design and sell hangars and it comes down to the door.

We design and sell hangars and it usually comes down to the door. Rapidset Buildings. Look to see if your door has a wind pin. It will be about a 1" pin going into the concrete from the bottom of the frame. If you have one or more pins your odds go way up that all will be fine.
It is suction that pops a hangar
If you have sliding doors - relocate!!
Don't depend on the the side latches over about 120 mph.
We have built up to 200 mph on the virgin islands with no trouble after many years. But over about 120 MPH the cost curve angle goes right up.
Thanks, Larry

Larry

I was in St Thomas when Hugo went thru in Sept 89 with my Bell 206B III helicopter. The winds at Mtn Top were measured at 200 mph before the wind speed machine broke. The aircraft survived because we were in the new hangar that had been recently finished. Only damage was it blew out the skylights in the hangar. It blew a DC-3 that was in front of the hangar 1/2 mile away into the ocean. Totally blew away the FAA tower 1/4 mile away, the remains were just a shell.

From the sounds of this storm, looks like your 200 mph rated hangar will get a good testing.

As one who has been thru this magnitude of a storm (Cat 5), get as far away as fast as you can from it's path.

Be safe out there

We design and sell hangars and it usually comes down to the door. Rapidset Buildings. Look to see if your door has a wind pin. It will be about a 1" pin going into the concrete from the bottom of the frame. If you have one or more pins your odds go way up that all will be fine.
It is suction that pops a hangar
If you have sliding doors - relocate!!
Don't depend on the the side latches over about 120 mph.
We have built up to 200 mph on the virgin islands with no trouble after many years. But over about 120 MPH the cost curve angle goes right up.
Thanks, Larry

Our doors are sliding, but do have the steel pins. I am missing one so will try to get one from the airport and install it this week. Even if I move the plane, I'd still like all my tools, etc to be safe. Thanks.

Chris,
I think in your area the codes are 120 maybe as low as 110.

A rep from the airport here said she believed 140mph but was double checking.

Depending on what I learn, and what the forecast looks like as of tomorrow, I will make a decision. Thursday afternoon will be my only real chance to move the plane, and get a flight back so I can be at work Friday AM until the end of this mess...Ughh

Chris

West of I-75 all new commercial construction, including hangars, must be built to 150MPH wind loading. Where you are it may still be that high, or maybe down to 125 or so. If you are expecting more than that (or maybe even close to it), I'd head north. I would have 12 planes to move if the winds are going to be that high here, but I'm hoping it won't come to that. If I was in the Keys I'd be planning to get out of dodge, but we'll just keep watching.

With Sliders pins won't help. Best to pack up and go. I wish I was nearby I would come to help. Be safe, Larry

I just relocated my 7 from Clearwater (KCLW) to NH yesterday.
Not to get away from the storm, but we will be spending the next 6 weeks up there. I was in the last row of old hangars with sliding doors. Now, I'm glad I moved out of the way for now. I'll be home tonight to start locking things down in the event we're in the path.

Be safe you all.
Let me know if I can help anyone out there.

I saw a picture on FB today of a -10 in Rockport (TX) that had the hangar collapse on it during Harvey. The plane was not yet flying (I think), but close to completion. Can't help but wonder if it was insured....

One look at those pictures and you'd move the plane!

Thanks to all for the advice - I have taken up a VAF'er on his generous offer of a hangar in Raleigh and plan to fly the RV up there on Thursday, unless there are any major forecast changes. The sad part is we just flew back from Atlanta this AM - I should've left the RV there and got us tickets on Delta...

Now I just worry about all my tools :(

Chris

I saw a picture on FB today of a -10 in Rockport (TX) that had the hangar collapse on it during Harvey. The plane was not yet flying (I think), but close to completion. Can't help but wonder if it was insured....

One look at those pictures and you'd move the plane!

A couple of years ago I spent a nice week in Rockport with the Grumman Owners Group. It was one of the first places I wanted to visit with the RV-6A.

If you check out Google Earth they have updated that area, and the Houston area, with satellite images from 8-29 and 8-30 after Harvey. Some of the Rockport hangars look OK (maybe), some are completely gone.

Back