What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

more fun with SolidWorks

Wow, compared to that clean panel sans round gauges, mine looks positively cluttered.

The problem with using SolidWorks is I can come up with a million permutations, all of which keep me from making a decision. Here are a couple more options. Stein thinks I should lose the pitot-static backups, then wait for a Gemini instead of the ADI Pilot II I have drawn in there. That would give me room, eventually, for a Garmin GNS 430 that is financially out of reach right now.

Lots of switches.

1183698034_fs9wi-X3.jpg

1183698195_yqUrg-X3.jpg

Skyview Panel

Non-critical items are protected from a fuse block mounted on the sub-panel (just barely visible through the right side cut-out). All flight-critical breakers are mounted on the panel. I'm using a Dynon Mode-S transponder, which is mounted on the sub-panel (controlled via Skyview Display), along with the SV-ARINC-429 converter, EMS module and Dynon backup batteries. All interfaces between the GNS430/SL30 and the Skyview have been checked out. Skyview HSI display works correctly with both the GNS430 and Dynon GPS units, as well as the VOR/ILS/GS from both the GNS430 and the SL30. Both ADAHRS units checked okay. Pitch servo calibrated and tested. Still working out a few details and there is lots of tidying up to do. The big hole on the right will be filled when budget allows (cable has been prefabricated and is ready to connect).

P2080008.JPG

Blank panel was fabricated by SteinAir, 1 1/2 inches taller than standard Vans panel. Painting and silk-screening by my friends at Penn Avionics.

Last edited:
Wow, compared to that clean panel sans round gauges, mine looks positively cluttered.

Lars, now that I have been flying my 10 for a while, here is my take on the round gauges;

I prefer them.

I flew round gauges for 40+ years, and am having a hard time adapting to the glass------but the main reason I really like having the round gauges is it allows me to switch the GRT display from PFD to the map function, and still have all my flight gauges available.

See you in March :)

Lars,
SteinAir is right now helping me with the panel layout.
I also am planning on the Gemini as a backup. If you are putting a 430 in the stack (or leaving room for one), think where it should go. Perhaps higher up rather than at the bottom of the stack, or maybe under the Aera if it will fit - I think it should have a higher priority (be closer to your scan) than the engine module.
No breakers?
I am being held up (holding myself up) figuring out the electrical system, which of course one has to do before finalizing the switches/breakers.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Lars,
SteinAir is right now helping me with the panel layout.
I also am planning on the Gemini as a backup. If you are putting a 430 in the stack (or leaving room for one), think where it should go. Perhaps higher up rather than at the bottom of the stack, or maybe under the Aera if it will fit - I think it should have a higher priority (be closer to your scan) than the engine module.
No breakers?
I am being held up (holding myself up) figuring out the electrical system, which of course one has to do before finalizing the switches/breakers.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada
RV-6A finishing kit

Thanks for the input Bill. Whether or not I do a Gemini depends on when I'm ready to fly. My sense is that the autopilot version is at least 3 quarters away. If that turns out to be the case I'll probably punt and buy an ADI-II.

If I do put a 430 in that panel I'll most likely rearrange the whole stack, and put it up high.

No breakers, except for the alternator field. I'm comfortable with fuses in this application. I have most of the electrical architecture worked out, finally. Waiting on materials to show up so I can get busy :) Panel goes out for waterjet cutting next week sometime. Hopefully the next time I post a photo in this thread it will be the real deal, or at least some of it!

Panel

Ken,
I like your panel layout and am thinking about something very similar for my RV9a. Did you add any length to the bottom of your pannel? It looks like amybe an inch +/-.....
Thanks,
Jamie

Ken,
I like your panel layout and am thinking about something very similar for my RV9a. Did you add any length to the bottom of your pannel? It looks like amybe an inch +/-.....
Thanks,
Jamie

I had SteinAir add 1 1/2 inches to the panel height when the made up the panel blank.

Panel

Ken/Jim,
Thanks for the information. Does the additional length impede room for your legs or interfere with the sticks?

Steinair is about 4 miles south of where I live, looks like I will be makeing an expensive trip there soon......

Thanks,
Jamie

Ken/Jim,
Thanks for the information. Does the additional length impede room for your legs or interfere with the sticks?

Steinair is about 4 miles south of where I live, looks like I will be makeing an expensive trip there soon......

Thanks,
Jamie

I visited Stein a few weeks ago when I was in the area on business. He spent over an hour with me, showing me the facility and giving me suggestions on my panel. All superlatives apply. I am a very happy customer.

Panel Work In Progress

I was going to wait until I had it finished but . . . . . what the heck.

NcJfXvC9wY1G06VyO51tD2bZD1yBhmmG4dcT_NYt24fs2tY_ZJCjOTqx7x7EhfYAl8r_dyD-ZChcVWTEvMYX5h2CxbfM0Cw7r2sUUVBHJGQI9hLrrNlPvRcPcOcdyd74A21umYRAUPXf8MSsYNxRd6QqfoH8LGMF5zXUC4AVAd_I6mhvTQsVtVmU3mLWo5FZafokAx072bc5IFJsXmdJZIZG755coPgQ1F6-AVSUNguCM6MxogFZavw8BQz3g0JFf_FIcgXIoV9LWkGs1cFYpsjVhMlOHRD5R07-wpqB2f7QFHGjIdMSDObzCEZtmqYt2Ll_jrMmsFmGUlNbR1F_lIfTw7bcPCwWBrmzR0ixKHBo7c1C9tey-9OFCnC_JuFKrzDDUkJkK3E8JplX7SwWTk471Lsa6ADidyzFGssxLZAOiHvgmT1sMiNTs4MHQW8iq55Y9BszIyZtaD0WhX04OIf8sQWqe8vc36qNXGmRLxz3o9EkkagW932_ahcc8RRljsCMOMeYjuQHcUuR70KtR_d6tK8yQ_362Zp4qozNV3HAdnOFuhPN9FmwQRV4TlauT8Cz3Tzcl8fy5xn_2Qk3JBg-y95nui208nxzt9eqFG8DQBBvWhOYf7cs90wSdxG8LOF3JPaq0ZjSTY8Jfz_yzQGT-JobElsAZDq6KgvvGIGxDD21_4YTMvGKvsQgxmd6vAAmeA27dFqVf9GWJXQJXadb0w=w800-h566

Q6NPxUicxY9Uc_jyrfNGthF0MOPCE2_4nsbwtlFYshNPWC4G397BxH5pCmFjol7iugVt4o5ld0tWDn7l_2u9CI_otESeBR2Y54VZ9LWmdEQNADnED7YoEVWjCZ7WpEkHTmkLPoEYDMnLSF9MJxVxW8xMD_JMpsJJV77oZZ9OmPYC2yTBquTKC-VlQj_T_qpDqHvF1Tnw0Ls1-C2-rbdHYxjeSEN3dpuxGWRUMOKTomw8yYXsONkQZ01iSu2gsrK9NhWmzb0wBRONtyJlnqH6sgNp8QbaYcRgzUbH02TQtgrxPk9ZzaEjALZfM_EzDL25Z0Ij0sTsHuY6zCpkSz2QeBqI6A9mG9EEtLnkPdaf2Is3wB5zDeSp819pVOEibbJm1pgFEAVNMtdMJYTmCKezr85hkYCCHLeTQR2kHebAe9YQA0TkvQBFj6NtZ0PHBoNiEVS0UC3ob_L0rIDDWibVj0bNiTL60qpi4fn3m-e5IXeJrAFDQb7vY_819dASmyP13MadNfWakFt2UfU3K38zToc3KEEVv5hdehPIVFtPYFQEqW5zDCHlPfLZjU2pmFlZ3JKT8XuuElQK_tIQltT3uBD9yUxoNEGWIQsDP0XbUchg4RK24UcjUTDWzSOrspkGQKkQWnyqdr3jXm1RGXhN_7kS8IC6IUQZY8JmambUzHf4EsUhmMmcTh8X5T5Mr2VWXTQKRagaMKVvkxD8reH09x3afA=w800-h386

10" Dynon Skyview, Garmin GDU-375, Garmin GMA-240 Audio Panel, two ICOM A-210 COMS (in Garmin SL30 and SL-40 trays), and Garmin GTX-327 Xponder.

Last edited:
Dan,

What is the black looking bar at the bottom of the panel that the eyeball vents are mounted in. Also looks like you have recesses for switch banks. Did you make it, or is it being sold?

Black Bar

Dan,

What is the black looking bar at the bottom of the panel that the eyeball vents are mounted in. Also looks like you have recesses for switch banks. Did you make it, or is it being sold?

It's a carbon fiber / fiberglass piece that I made. Basically a semi-circular cross section with flat recess for switch banks that also provides for the large Stein vents and headset jacks underneath. It also provides the stiffness for the bottom of the aluminum panel.

It's taken a long time to get this far, but th epanel is generally done except for a couple minor placards. I used frontpanelexpress.com for the placards and they come out very nice. Otherwise, it's on to the engine install!

P5120097.JPG

What is that extension piece below the panel where you mounted your throttle, mixture, etc. cables. Is it custom made or did you buy it?

Rudder Pedals

I was going to wait until I had it finished but . . . . . what the heck.

inst_panel_rh_view.jpg

inst_panel_front_view.jpg

10" Dynon Skyview, Garmin GDU-375, Garmin GMA-240 Audio Panel, two ICOM A-210 COMS (in Garmin SL30 and SL-40 trays), and Garmin GTX-327 Xponder.

Hey Dan, what to you have going there on the bottom of those rudder pedals. Is that something you made. Very nice!

Waiting for answer ??

good question, I would also like to know

""""What is that extension piece below the panel where you mounted your throttle, mixture, etc. cables. Is it custom made or did you buy it? """"

What is that extension piece below the panel where you mounted your throttle, mixture, etc. cables. Is it custom made or did you buy it?

Throttle/Mixture panel

That piece below the panel was a part manufactured by Creative Air, I'm not sure if he's still making those, but I liked the part. That was back when they were starting to cut panels and had some additional components for sale.

Hope that helps.

Jim

That piece below the panel was a part manufactured by Creative Air, I'm not sure if he's still making those, but I liked the part. That was back when they were starting to cut panels and had some additional components for sale.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Since this guy no longer seems to be in business does anyone else know where you can purchase that panel extension?

RV-7A all glass panel

I install 2 Advanced Flight Systems AFS-3500 display units, a Trutack Digiflight 2 Autopilot, a Garmin 496GPS, a Garmin SL-40 Comm., a Garmin GTX-330 Mode S Transponder and a Kannad 406 MHz ELT RC panel.

Mark Rataj
C-FZUM
RV-7A
Flying
IMG_1982.JPG

Dutims,
Just out of curiosity, why only one G3X screen and the AFS? Why not opt for the full G3X setup.

Nice clean, easy panel BTW.

Yes that's a 696 with my advanced flight system 3500 efis. Basic VFR flights only, im not IFR rated and will do just vfr flights.

Hi Duane-

Looks like you ran most of your wires under your canopy decks and then down the sidewall under the spar cap (not sure of the name of those covers) and then thru the gear weldment then aft - same place as I ran mine. Are you aware of anybody else running these in that location? I figure if I ever want to convert to a taildragger, I'll be in trouble!

I working on the panel layout for my RV-6 and would like some feedback.

The panel is modular and made up of four sections. 1) Panel frame, pilot sub-panel, radio stack, and passenger sub-panel.

The panel is planned for VFR cross-country, but I intend to eventually upgrade to IFR with a Garmin 430w (or whatever is around by then) and a backup EFIS (such as a D10A). At the point the Comm will become Comm2.

The DVD player is an addition for my wife. It has a fold-out screen. Access to the glovebox will be blocked with the screen out, but that isn't an issue.

I will likely extend the panel another half inch or more to provide better clearance between the EFIS and switches. The only breaker I plan to install is for the flaps, I'll find someplace to fit that. The rest of the circuits will use a fuse block.

paneldesignv04.jpg

Last edited:
Colin: What program did you use to design your panel. I'm having a heck of a time finding suitable (inexpensive) software with correctly sized instruments, etc.

Regards,

Lee...

Lee,

I am using a free CAD program available from emachineshop.com

From a CAD standpoint it is certainly CAD-Lite, but for simple 2D work it is VERY easy to use. The cool part is that once I lay out the panel, select material and machining spec it will tell me how much it costs to cut the panel. I haven't had anything machined yet, so I can't comment on the service.

This sw doesn't come with any pre-loaded instruments ect since it is not made for panels, but all that information is very easy to look up online.

The sw can import/export in a couple of formats, so you can import the panel drawing from Vans.

Colin: What program did you use to design your panel. I'm having a heck of a time finding suitable (inexpensive) software with correctly sized instruments, etc.

Regards,

Lee...

My Instrument Panel

Let me to show the instrument panel of my rv-9a and its back side with "Plug&Play" wiring.

sized_DSC01217.JPG

sized_DSC01216.JPG

sized_DSC01112.JPG

Alex K.

Here is one installed in my plane.

SUNP0017.jpg

Mike where did you fin those switches?

The switched under the radio stack are circuit breaker switches, Chief Aircraft has them, Chief calls themn "Mooney" switches, and the switches under the ignition key are from a supplier recommended by Aircraft Engravers, they did the switch cover engraving. I used these because they were as close to the "Mooney" switches as I could find.

Finally done!

Since someone asked in a classified posting and it'll disappear soon, here's the old panel... 9a but still allowed here, right?!? :cool:
nevqeh.jpg

Here's the drafted plan in Xpanel, take #679 probably! It's our balance of dissimilar redundancy, capability, working with the old equipment and the prior Affordable Panel framing.
5p3r81.jpg

Here's a pic of the actual result, although it took about 3-4 times as long as predicted given all that was involved. We're hoping for IFR tickets in the fall, after the Texas summer heat retreats and hopefully the work schedule allows...
k85rm.jpg

You know your Dad is a pilot (former F-106 guy, and later IP at Laughlin AFB) when... he takes a picture of your new panel so he can show his pilot friends back home. :D

Overall, I'm very happy with the result and keep learning more of the new utility. We recently flew coupled practice ILS and GPS approaches -- amazing capability in a sweet, RV machine!

Equipment List:
GRT 8.4in HX with dual AHRS, single EFIS
EIS 4000* (rear mounted, beveled edges around the LCD make it look extra nice!)
Garmin 496* with XM Wx*
Trutrak VSGV (upgraded from single axis unit)
PMA 8000b
430w (installed just weeks before the GTN series was released, of course :mad: )
SL40
GTX 330
Dynon D10A with battery back-up*
VP-X Pro
Switches up top are nicely lit by glare shield lights at night
Cats-eye master warning and fuel pump lights
Locking master switch and avionics switches
(* = kept from old panel)

Where will the mag/ignition switch go? How about the master/avionics switch. Why the extra AS indicator and no backup instruments if you plan on real IFR?

Would you consider doing away with the AVmap and having a second Dynon 7" screen complete with backup ADHRS? A little rearranging to fit that.

Use the Dynon transponder and save panel room (It's controlled by the EFIS). That would allow the DVD to go to the center stack and leave room for either the 7" Dynon on the right or even the 10" if you forget the glove box.

Just a hint for all y'all considering a GTN box (new 430 replacement), you can also mount the garmin transponders remotely and save some space...

Cheers,
Stein

Just a hint for all y'all considering a GTN box (new 430 replacement), you can also mount the garmin transponders remotely and save some space...

Cheers,
Stein

Now if it could just be done for a 430 price!!!

Any chance my G3X / GX is in the mail yet? :D

remote transponder too expensive

seems strange that the remote transponder should be so much more expensive than the 327... no display, no soft keys, cosmetic bezel etc. mounts behind the panel so it can just be a box without consideration for fitting into a radio stack. No, but wait! It's remote! It's new! let's gig the consumer for that! Garmin team high fives, then goes back to respective cube area to dream of yearly bonus.

seems strange that the remote transponder should be so much more expensive than the 327... no display, no soft keys, cosmetic bezel etc. mounts behind the panel so it can just be a box without consideration for fitting into a radio stack. No, but wait! It's remote! It's new! let's gig the consumer for that! Garmin team high fives, then goes back to respective cube area to dream of yearly bonus.

Then you need to work with a different avionics shop. It's not costing my customers any additional $$'s to have a remote transponder with their GTN boxes (Mode C or Mode S) over the standard panel mount pricing. Garmin's remote mount transponders are also not new, they've been around a loooong time - many, many years.

Seems you may not like Garmin and that's ok, but it should be based on good data, not emotion.

Cheers,
Stein

Combo price

Hi Stein,

thanks for the feedback. What is your combo price on a 650 and remote Xponder set up then?

Hi Stein,

thanks for the feedback. What is your combo price on a 650 and remote Xponder set up then?
Contact me off list...there isn't "one price". For example, do you need a harness and if so what is it getting hooked to (A/P, single/dual txpdr, handheld gps, efis, audio panel, xm weather/music, mfd, single or dual power, coax cables or not, etc..)? Grey code or serial for the transponder? Separate encoder or EFIS for altitude data? For the txpdr do you want Mode C, Mode S, ES, Diversity, etc...? Do you need antennas or not? Is it replacing a GNS box or a new install? There are many variables that don't lend themselves to an easy single displayed price and anyone that would give you one without knowing details is doing a dis-service to you as a builder.

The price of the package of the two could vary from less than $12K up to $18K depending on what you need!

Cheers,
Stein

The Garmin GTX33 Remote Transponder

weighs 4.31 pounds and the Dynon remote XPNDR 26X weighs .9 pounds. Is the Garmin transponder worth the extra weight?

Old School

Just an update on our panel.
Hope you like the old school.
Notes: Pistons moved, polished and ported:D

Bruce,
Thats the panel I intend to install myself,not that I have anything against glass, it's just that I want it to seem more like an airplane than a video game.

I just flew coast to coast.

Bruce,
Thats the panel I intend to install myself,not that I have anything against glass, it's just that I want it to seem more like an airplane than a video game.

The US Airways airplane didn't have one round instrument in it! Dual glass in front of each pilot...hey, I'm older than you are and love my 'glass.

Best,

Last edited:
The US Airways airplane didn't have one round instrument in it! Dual glass ain front of each pilot...hey, I'm older than you are and love my 'glass.

Best,

And with the master off, there is nothing to see..........:confused:

Remember how exciting it use to be at OSH to walk up to the next aircraft and see all the things that were in the panel..........:D

Now, for the most part, all you see are a few rectangular black lifeless panels..... you don't stop a gaze, you just move on and hope the next aircraft will have something to see...........:(

I think a mixture makes a balanced panel. And MGL round radios will work right in with my panel dreams..............:)

And with the master off, there is nothing to see..........:confused:

Remember how exciting it use to be at OSH to walk up to the next aircraft and see all the things that were in the panel..........:D

Now, for the most part, all you see are a few rectangular black lifeless panels..... you don't stop a gaze, you just move on and hope the next aircraft will have something to see...........:(

I think a mixture makes a balanced panel. And MGL round radios will work right in with my panel dreams..............:)

So we should design an airplane and/or panel with form taking precendence over function and then condsider it's appearance on the ground instead of usability in the air? (sort of like some of the things in a recently discussed RV10)?! :)

Sorry for the sarcasm, I do get your point! So much so that people have told me that if I put glass in the Mullicoupe that I should make an "overlay" of round instrument faces to place over the panel when it's parked on ground! In the end probably won't do that because I figure the rest of the airplane should be good enough that I won't design the panel around what people might desire to see when they look at it on the ramp.

Just my obnoxiously sarcastic 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Stein, I do like glass panels. I have an Xtreme where my alt. was located. And glass panels allow you to give away free t-shirts..........:D

PS. Please save me a Large. I could never get the XXL to fit, and I never ran into Mike S. to give it to him........:rolleyes:

Back