What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Dual-circuit pressure switch for Hobbs

Draker

Well Known Member
Hopefully this helps someone avoid buying the wrong part:

I'm planning on installing a Hobbs meter. The standard way to activate the Hobbs appears to be with an oil pressure-based switch. When oil pressure is present, the switch closes, and the Hobbs meter runs. I'm also planning on running a panel light that is on when the switch is open, indicating low/no oil pressure. For this application, you need a 2 circuit oil pressure switch.

The switch sold by Spruce is Honeywell part number 76575, which is only a single circuit (normally open, suitable for activating the Hobbs meter). The one you'd need to also support a panel light is Honeywell part number 76579, which has dual circuitry: both NO and NC terminals.

Information about these pressure switches can be found in their datasheet: https://sensing.honeywell.com/honeywell-sensing-switch-5000-series-productsheet.pdf

I obtained mine from eBay, but there are a number of online vendors that sell this part.

Now I've got an extra brand new single-circuit oil pressure switch that I'll either return to Spruce or sell over in the VAF classifieds. :D

Last edited:
The one Van's sells does just what you say.
Oil pressure switch for activating Hour Meter and light IE SPDT PRES-15 SW $35.00
Pressure good = one terminal goes to ground (switch body)
Pressure bad/low = other terminal goes to ground

as long as you use low-side switching, it works.
i.e. +12V ---hobbs---switch---ground
+12V---warning light ---- switch---ground

The Vans part includes a sheet showing how to hook it up.

Last edited:
Back