What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A SEAT QUESTION

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
Folks,

I bought a used RV6A. The original builder made customized seats as he was pretty small in stature. I'm 6'1". My head touches the canopy.

I'd be really interested in advice, thoughts, options? This is my first RV so I'm not certain what's out there ins the seat arena...

Thank you,

Doug

Folks,

I bought a used RV6A. The original builder made customized seats as he was pretty small in stature. I'm 6'1". My head touches the canopy.

I'd be really interested in advice, thoughts, options? This is my first RV so I'm not certain what's out there ins the seat arena...

Thank you,

Doug

Perhaps you can post a photo of what's installed. Some of the seat bases lift up and there's a riser under the main cushion that is removable. Have you checked to see if one is installed in your airplane?

I am 5'10" and during closing, my head hits the canopy too.. but it's fine once the canopy has closed.

Do you mean the seat cushions or the seat back?
The seat back is designed to have 3 positions adjusted with hinges and pins, did you get the plans with the aircraft? You could check it has been built to plan. Van's will sell you another set of 'Preview' plans.
Seat cushions are available from several sources. Van's will sell you foams Van's shop to get upholstered locally, IIRC patterns for the covers are included. I did make my own but it took a very long time as I had never used a sewing machine before! Eventually I had them sewn up by a neighbour.

Classic Aero (a VAF advertiser) will sell ready made cushions.

Several other vendors offer similar products, Cleaveland Tools and Flightline interiors come to mind.

Pete

How thick is the bottom cushion. My thought is you will need a bottom cushion about 2 inch thick.

Best to start from scratch. Remove existing cushions and slowly build up seat bottom until you are happy with the height. Depending on what material you will be using, allow for compression. Suggest sourcing your cushion material first, then spend some time sitting in the aircraft for a period of time using the trial and error method. I spent "hours" in my -6 fitting temperfoam cushions. Don't forget to allow for headset clearance from the canopy, 2" should be fine.

Last edited:
Seat Cushions

Doug,

I may have what you need. I have a complete set (4) of barely used cushions
I no longer need. They are gray fabric made by Oregon Aero.

I am 6'0" and used a thin (1 in.) pad to increase my sitting height for my -9.

PM me with your email or phone info for more details and pics.

Thinner cushions should be the easy fix. You can simulate the correct (compressed) cushion height with a stack of folded towels or something like that.

I find this to be an interesting conversation. I?m 6?0?. I fly a 6A with the ?almost a 14 mod?. I have 4 cushions mounted on my side and two on the passenger side and I usually roll up my bruce?s Cover and put it under the passenger cushions as well. The canopy barely touches the headset on closing, but I have plenty of room even with a Kroger shade over me.

Back