Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Strikefinder

Hi

I am finishing a RV10 panel and am in an incredible doubt about whether install a strikefinder or not. My flights are intended to be VFR only. Are they good? I have never used one but have been reading and there are some fans and other that find them useless. Would like to get some input from the rv community. Consider in Brazil there is no WX.
My panel will consist in basically a 10 inch skyview with GPS, engine monitor and AP, GPS 695 (no WX in Brazil), sl40 and gtx327.

Thanks for the inputs

Moura
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM

Default Strikefinder is a Great Choice

Moura:
Over a nearly 20 year period, I flew a series of turbo-charged Cessna 210s in all kinds of weather. The first two had radar - one only black and white, the second Bendix color. Aside from added maintenance, the radar units suffer from problems associated with most airborne radars, but even more so. The antenna size was very small and greatly limited the ability to "see" much more than what's directly in front of you, and did that very poorly. Third 210 was fitted with a Strikefinder. Great instrument. Reliable. Storm "vision" for 360 degrees and with great range. While it didn't give me precipitation, it did tell me what precip to avoid (areas with lightening). If ground-based Nexrad wasn't available today thru Wx, I'd have another Strikefinder in my RV. I trusted it and relied on it much more than the airborne radar units. Just my opinion.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Hi Moura,

If you are flying VFR, the best strike finder is the Mk I eyeball.

Just stay away from the flashes....

Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM

I agree with Terry here--I have about 400 hours behind stormscopes, and found them very useful.

Nexrad downlink is much better, but the stormscope was pretty good. I'm a weather chicken, but staying 20+ miles away from any collections of strikes kept me out of seriously bumpy clouds.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:41 AM

Thumbs up

Good Post, I am in the same boat, RV10 in South Africa and no onboard WX weather here either.

I am equiping my RV10 for IFR, hence I am seriusly considering Stormscope / Strike Finder (NOT RADAR).

I would like to hear more about peoples experience with those instruments too.

Rudi

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 AM

I have never used one of these. I was interested on the insight strikefinder. I was wondering though, will the dots on the screen get closer to the small airplane as the real airplane moves forward or the dots remain in the same position on the screen?

Moura
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Check out their website

Moura:
Suggest the best approach is to go through the operations manual to see what the unit will and won't do.
http://www.insightavionics.com/strikefinder.htm
For your purposes (mostly VFR), I believe the ranging function will help keep you as far as you want from new, developing cell as well as mature cells. There is also a "time lapse" function so you can look at the rate of buildup.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP
Old 01-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Default I owned a Mooney 231 with a strikefinder

for several years. Worked great in my experience. Either picking your way around weather or flying along in the soup with embedded thunderstorms, I think it is the best thing going for real time wx in our planes.

Ground based relay type systems have a variable time lag that could be a problem in some cases. Of course the overall picture provided by Garmin et al is hard to beat for longer range planning.

As I recall the dots stayed on the screen, but all you had to do was push a button to get a fresh picture. Be sure to get the system with heading input.

If you're strictly VFR it might be overkill,
Southern Nevada EAA Chapter 1300 - www.eaa1300.org

Paid VAF 03/17
Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazitl View Post

If you're strictly VFR it might be overkill,
Indeed do not intend to fly under IMC condicions with this aircraft.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 PM

We do and have done strikefinders for those outside of the main Satellite weather coverage, but lately the better/more popular and probably best option is the relatively new unit offered from Avidyne, the TWX-670. It seems to interface nicely with some EFISes.

See link here: http://www.avidyne.com/products/twx670/index.asp

Avidyne hasn't done a particularly good job letting people know about it on the marketing front, but aside from that it seems to be popular for those who want them.

Cheers,
Stein