What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lube?

Plummit

Well Known Member
Is lube necessary for the flap torque tube bushings. If so, what to use?

thanks
-Marc

Grease is always good for surfaces that have relative motion between them. For the flap tube and rudder pedal bushings I used a standard automotive white grease. For metal to metal stuff (like the gear legs into the gear leg weldment) I use the AeroShell grease in the hangar - but any will do. Same for the nose gear hinge bushings.

Greasing the gear legs before mounting prevents the two steel parts from corroding and becoming one. At some point you might need to take one or both out.

Carl

Thanks Carl. The plans show UMHW (PE) torque tube bushings which is why I asked. White grease is usually lithium, and I'm sure I have some in the hangar.

-Marc

Grease is always good for surfaces that have relative motion between them. For the flap tube and rudder pedal bushings I used a standard automotive white grease. For metal to metal stuff (like the gear legs into the gear leg weldment) I use the AeroShell grease in the hangar - but any will do. Same for the nose gear hinge bushings.

Greasing the gear legs before mounting prevents the two steel parts from corroding and becoming one. At some point you might need to take one or both out.

Carl

Thanks Carl. The plans show UMHW (PE) torque tube bushings which is why I asked. White grease is usually lithium, and I'm sure I have some in the hangar.

-Marc

I am curious if others are applying lube to the Delrin parts. I know that Delrin is a naturally low friction surface. On my 6, I did lube the rudder shaft interfaces, but have been wondering if I need to do that on the 10. The downside to lithium is that it dries up in a few years.

Larry

Plans don?t call for any lubricant on the Deleon parts, there is a connection of the vert stab that calls for a specific lubricant, can?t recall what, so I have not lubricated any of the flap or pedal bushings.

Back