What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna Location

n38139

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas about where to stick a second vhf antenna for a newly installed comm 2 radio. I have a bent one on the bottom, in the center. I am considering putting one behind the canopy. I don't like the wingtip antennas, I had them in my RV8 and never liked either one of them.

thanks

Bottom

Both of my comm antennae are on the bottom. One forward of the spar and another under the baggage area. They seem to work just fine.

In case anyone is interested, I mounted my 430w GPS antenna on the turtle deck under the canopy. Reception has always been great.

M

Split comm and simultaneous transmission

Looking for ideas about where to stick a second vhf antenna for a newly installed comm 2 radio. I have a bent one on the bottom, in the center. I am considering putting one behind the canopy. I don't like the wingtip antennas, I had them in my RV8 and never liked either one of them.

thanks

My vote is for mounting the antenna behind the canopy. I did this in combination with a PMA5000EX audio panel, allowing simultaneous communication on both radios in split mode (pilot on radio 1, copilot on radio 2). Also allows receiving signal from radio 2 while transmitting on radio 1; very handy (e.g. speaking to FSS while monitoring if controller is calling you).

Please elaborate

I don't like the wingtip antennas, I had them in my RV8 and never liked either one of them.

thanks

I am currently building my wings and was planning on running atleast one run of RG-400 to one of my wing tips for an antenna but am curious as to why you disliked them in the tips.

I ran RG-400 to both wing tips, and also wire for position lights, strobe lights and landing lights.
I used 3/4" pvc light weight irrigation tube for conduit, all that wire fit in it. I have an ARCHER Nav antenna in the left tip, and the 3 light marker beacon in the right tip.
I drilled the ribs for the conduit right behind the main spar, low near the bottom skin. I wouldn't do that again, it was hard to get the wires into the fuselage after I put the wings on. Maybe a spot farther aft would be better.
I'm installing the position lights, strobes & landing lights in the wing tip.
No matter, if it's too much heat or the landing light is unsatisfactory, I'll switch to a Ducworks landing light later. Because the wires all terminate at the wingtip with a service loop, I can always build in the duckworks system later without a splice.

Last edited:
I am currently building my wings and was planning on running at least one run of RG-400 to one of my wing tips for an antenna but am curious as to why you disliked them in the tips.

I had one in my left tip....... It did not work very well. Very short range. Abandoned it and installed a bent whip on the belly between the landing gear (6A) just in front of the spar pilots side. It works great.

If I need to connect my handheld, I just reach down and disconnect the coax and connect the lead from the handheld.

It's suprising with the amount of GPS antennas going under the front cowl and some between the panel and subpanel under the sheet metal with no negative PIREPs, but I have heard a few complaints about wingtip antennas. I am still debating making a run in one of my wings while I have on still open and accessible.

It's surprising with the amount of GPS antennas going under the front cowl and some between the panel and subpanel under the sheet metal with no negative PIREPs, but I have heard a few complaints about wingtip antennas. I am still debating making a run in one of my wings while I have on still open and accessible.

They are not collecting the same kind of signal.

I'll second the belly mount..what I did when I added the 430W. I do have an Archer wingtip antenna for the VOR/ILS in the 430W with great reception, as good as the cat's whisker under the rear tailcone for the SL-30.

Transmission is a whole 'nuther ballgame though.

Best,

Back