What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sandia STX-165R and GRT

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
I?m helping a buddy install a remote Sandia transponder. I can?t find any documentation from GRT on the serial port settings. The only transponder choices are Garmin and Trigg.
If anyone has the Sandia GRT and can share some settings I?d appreciate it. Just trying to get it done today vs calling GRT tomorrow.

He has the Sport SX model with 6 serial ports, he also has the Echo Safe Fly

Thanks
Gary

Gary,

As I read the GRT website, control of Trig or Sandia remote transponders is only available on HXr, not SX. See the Trig supplement,

http://grtavionics.com/media/TrigTransponderA2.pdf

Even then you need a GRT adapter module.

Try going to General Setup and see if Trig 21 or Trig 22 is an available choice on a serial port. That should tell you if the SX can control a remote transponder.

If the SX will control a Trig, the same settings likely will work for Sandia as it uses serial in for control and serial out for display. You will have to provide altitude data by another serial port from the GRT.

Jim Butcher

Per GRT...

I had this same question when connecting the GRT Mini X to the STX-165R. Here is the response I received from GRT technical support:

Wire the STX-165 to any open serial port and configure the port at 9600 baud.
Regards, Mark Allen

Of course, once you set the port speed and save the setting, you'll change the serial port input/output to "SL70/STX165", or at least that's how the menu worked in the Mini.

Last edited:
Brian,
I didn?t notice the SL70/STX165 but will take another look. I may have passed it by seeing SL70. I used port 6 (in/out) and already set the speed to 9600. I assume after configuring, the STX will come up on the General settings page so transponder settings can be adjusted.

Tried the serial settings using Trigg and the transponder softkeys came up on the EFIS display. I?ll look for the SL70/STX165.

Thanks for the help.

Gary

Back