What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What kind of Passengers

BHunt

Well Known Member
So,

I'm currently in the USAF flying F-16s. In the future, I want to build a RV-14 (Will probably wait until I'm out). BUT, I am looking to buy an already completed RV, possibly at my next assignment. Looking at the RV-4. What size passenger is realistic. I am 6'0" 190lbs. Wife is about 5'5" 135 (I think). Is this doable? I understand aerobatics are probably out, but anything else?

Last edited:
Depends

You could look for a light, simply-equipped -4 and do just fine. Many of us enjoy tremendous efficiency and utility this way.

The published CG range is a good guideline, as an aft CG RV4 can be a handful on landing. At aft CG, land with no flaps and try to touch down slightly tail first. When the tail touches, hold the stick full aft until slowed to taxi speed.

Also, it's worth noting that the best handling/aerobatic characteristics are achieved at more rearward CG and no passenger, but the best utility comes from a more forward CG. These configurations are mutually exclusive, so you should think about your mission and choose an aircraft that is configured appropriately.

M

I am curious now as well. I am about the same height and have been eying up the rv4 for a while. I am hoping to get into something by next spring that is already built.

Anyone wish to post their useful load?

The 585# estimate on vans website would allow for 30 gal (180) and 400# payload.

Mike

I ran a spreadsheet on my 4 and played with the cg limits. I have a pretty hard limit of 200 lbs and the closer I get to that number I start placing limits on the type of flying too and get more conservative. For me at 190lbs, in MY plane with a passenger, when I get close to 200 lbs in the back seat the fuel load matters more too (iirc I can have ~1/2 tanks). You and your wife will be fine. I'm just north of Scott AFB and unofficially looking for a partner or to sell as my mission is shifting to family 4 seater more than solo yank n bank. Holler when you get back;)

Last edited:
weights

I am 180#, wife about 150#, 50 # baggage... no problem full fuel.
My empty is about 990# and MTOW is 1650#

I have an o-360 up front which helps a little with C of G.
But C of G moves backward as you burn off your fuel so something to
play around with and watch. Its more of a problem with a heavier passenger.

Here a calculator to play with courtesy one of our forum friends!

http://nwacaptain.com/10weightandbalance.html

Cheers

I have a -4 with an O-320 wood prop, weighs 965...I am 200, GF is in your wife's range. No problem at all. I have had a 200 lb in back, and as others have stated, pitch is very sensitive, so you have to be mindful ...no hard pull, and easy at flare.

Back