What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mick RV7

Mick RV7

We are building a RV7 and in two minds about the issue of extra fuel due to our vast country and the availability of gas.After attending a Paul Bennet Airshow (aerobics and warbirds) on the weekend I came up with an idea as I want a smoker as well.2 x 7gal Smoker Help System tanks that look nice and got in the luggage compartment behind the seat and loosing little room.Use one for fuel and one for oil with the ability to use both for fuel.They are removable in 10/15 minuets.Has anyone done this and what?s your thoughts.

I'm no plane builder yet, but do you really want fuel in the cockpit with you in the event of an emergency like an electrical fire or worse? Oil is one thing, but avgas or even Mogas is whole other kettle of fish.

That's just me, though. I would try to do some sort of out side under wing pod tank before I would put it in the cockpit with me.

I'm no plane builder yet, but do you really want fuel in the cockpit with you in the event of an emergency like an electrical fire or worse? Oil is one thing, but avgas or even Mogas is whole other kettle of fish.

That's just me, though. I would try to do some sort of out side under wing pod tank before I would put it in the cockpit with me.

You don't want to see where the fuel tank is located in the RV-12..... ;)

There are a lot of options regarding adding extra fuel; leading edge tanks, tubes that fit in the lightening holes, baggage compartment tanks, etc.

Then you have to figure out how you are going to add valves and fuel level senders to those tanks. Some people add electric pumps and others additional valves. (My preference is to use a five way Andair valve; Left outboard, left inboard, right inboard, right outboard, and off.)

For the smoke oil, I think I saw Kahuna make the space between the spars for one or two wing ribs a smoke tank.

Whatever you do, make sure that it is difficult for someone to put fuel in the smoke tank.

Where the Fuel Goes

There are a lot of options regarding adding extra fuel; leading edge tanks, tubes that fit in the lightening holes, baggage compartment tanks, etc.

Then you have to figure out how you are going to add valves and fuel level senders to those tanks. Some people add electric pumps and others additional valves. (My preference is to use a five way Andair valve; Left outboard, left inboard, right inboard, right outboard, and off.)

For the smoke oil, I think I saw Kahuna make the space between the spars for one or two wing ribs a smoke tank.

Whatever you do, make sure that it is difficult for someone to put fuel in the smoke tank.

Heard of, but have not seen builders using the baggage area for fuel and running a goose neck like the RV-12 to fill. As mentioned above ?make it difficult for someone to put fuel in the smoke tank.? If you go that route. Having fueled my plane multiple times I can count on one out of ten times of a little fuel washing the wing. Wouldn?t be very pleasant on a hot cross country with a heavy scent of 100LL wiffing around the cockpit.

Mick we are doing a plumbing package for an Australian client now with 2 baggage tanks from Marvin Holmsley as well as the 2 wing tanks. One of the baggage tanks will be dual purpose---smoke oil and fuel, while the other is just fuel. Thats the easy one. The dual purpose tank plumbing is complicated.

Tom

We are building a RV7 and in two minds about the issue of extra fuel due to our vast country and the availability of gas.After attending a Paul Bennet Airshow (aerobics and warbirds) on the weekend I came up with an idea as I want a smoker as well.2 x 7gal Smoker Help System tanks that look nice and got in the luggage compartment behind the seat and loosing little room.Use one for fuel and one for oil with the ability to use both for fuel.They are removable in 10/15 minuets.Has anyone done this and what’s your thoughts.

Mick, I flew from Benalla to Caboolture stopping twice for fuel; the first stop not absolutely necessary, but at that stage I wasn't convinced we could access the tip tank fuel and had planned to stop and say g'day to a mate anyway.

I made some back of the envelope calculations that with a 45 minute fixed reserve you should have +/-3.5hrs duration on the standard tanks at 36ltr/hr fuel burn.

I'd reckon at 160kts you'd have about 560nm duration.

I'll try an PM you an image of 560nm radius of WeeWaa aerodrome but it puts you north of Mackay and not far out of Adelaide.

3.5 hrs is a long time to be spending in a relatively cramped environment. Either the derriere will be numb or the bladder complaining for much longer than that.

30516382_10155129288456207_6032657449884844032_o.jpg

Last edited:
Mick, I flew from Benalla to Caboolture stopping twice for fuel; the first stop not absolutely necessary, but at that stage I wasn't convinced we could access the tip tank fuel and had planned to stop and say g'day to a mate anyway.

Careful now. Q has a slippery Mustang2......lol! And he couldnt get his tip tanks to work so hes selling them to me! ;)

Back