What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hydro-dipping prep

AN23

Well Known Member
We have our panel almost ready to go to hydro dipper. They aren't open for the holidays and I hate to waste time if there's more work to be done. I failed to ask the question of just how smooth do they want it? We did some metal work and riveting and it's pretty smooth but not absolutely smooth. Do they expect it filled, sanded and primed or do they do that?

I don't know what the requirements were but I gave mine in a ready to prime state. Curious what you got quoted? I paid $150 for panel and throttle quadrant.

Jay

panel_1.jpg

If it works, here is how my hydrodipping turned out

Nice Jay. That looks great. Are you going to clear coat it or do anything to protect it?

I would also like to know more about the hydro dipping and the prep. I hve the fake vinyl carbon fiber on mine and it looks ok, but sure will not fool anyone!

If you're going to go the hydro dip route....let them do the paint as well. Depending on the paint used .....there's a time frame involved to help with the bonding process. You can also use adhesive backed carbon fiber sheets on flat surfaces as an alternative. Amazon has it on rolls.

Hydro dipping

Dropped it off today. Guy is a real pro and we had lengthy discussion on level of matte finish, pattern of carbon fiber and background paint. His price was right in line with what others have quoted on this site.

Back