What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do "Touch Screen Gloves" actually work?

snopercod

Well Known Member
For those of us who fly with touch screens, it's winter now and sometimes my hands get cold. Do these Touch Screen Gloves actually work? Apparently they have some kind of conductive material in the tips of the thumb and first two fingers. They're cheap enough that I ordered a set just to try them out.

For those of us who fly with touch screens, it's winter now and sometimes my hands get cold. Do these Touch Screen Gloves actually work? Apparently they have some kind of conductive material in the tips of the thumb and first two fingers. They're cheap enough that I ordered a set just to try them out.

They work till first wash. Then you can poke a hole in it for your index :D

Are you asking about mobile tablets or smartphones or are you asking about Touch Screen EFIS’s?

The Garmin G3X Touch does not require special gloves. It does not use the capacitive touch technology.

Yes

If you are Infer-Red the gloves do not have to be touch, they can be standard Mil. spec.. The regular tough screens will sometimes work a little with the none touch screen gloves, but the touch screen gloves with the finger tip pads work a lot better for the none Infer-Red screens. That's what we have run into. I like our G3X as it will work with either, the cheep'er military gloves work just fine in the winter when we fly up high. A good Nomex jump suite helps too.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

I received a pair for Christmas a few years ago that worked great on capacitive touch screens like most modern smartphones and tablets. They had fine silver threads woven in. They worked fine until I lost them. I think they survived at least one washing.

I have a pair of Glider gloves that worked wonderfully on my phone and tablet for just over a year. Now they don't work at all, and I don't know why... They haven't been washed. I only wore them while commuting to work in winter, and they never got wet or sweaty either.

My experience is that they work ok to answer a phone call or scroll, but if I need something with more precision like typing I need to take the glove off. I don't know what brand mine are but I've never had issues with them not working...

Learning from the Clarinetists...

In our high school band we wore white gloves, and the clarinet players always cut out the finger pad areas of their gloves. Touch screen pilots may have to do the same thing. :rolleyes:

John

There is also a conducting thread that you can use to make any gloves touchscreen compatible. I tried it and while it works, it's just not the same as going bareskin. ;)

G back to the 1800's!

Charles Dickens has your solution. Finger gloves. Just cut the tips off your favorite gloves and wa-la. Done. Or have granny knit you a proper pair of finger gloves.

Now if you gotta have nomex gloves when you fly (which suck for warmth) then youre SOL.

They work!

The touch-screen gloves arrived in the mail and they actually work on my iPad, just like Vlad wrote. I have large hands, too, but the smallish looking gloves are stretchy and actually fit. Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Back