What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flywheel for O-360

N999BT

Well Known Member
Patron
I have an Lycoming O-360 A1D which is a parallel valve with Bendix mags that came out of an old Mooney. I have Lightspeed ignition, and have been using a Hall Effect Sensor in place of one of the mags. It failed, and I have decided to go with the crank position sensor that is mounted on the flywheel.

So, I sent my flywheel to Klaus to install the magnet ring, and he informs me that my flywheel is for a generator, and not an alternator, and has a smaller pulley. He needs a large pulley, and flywheel built for an alternator.

So, my question: What is the lycoming part number that would work for this. I see a couple of flywheels on ebay that might work, but I don't want to buy the wrong one.

I think with a little patience if advertised someone that doesn't need the room for the EI stuff would gladly trade you for one with the larger pulley. Not wanting to pull the CS prop will eliminate a few (me) but your flywheel is hard to find and very suitable for slowing the alternator down as they spin way to fast in cruise with the large pulley in my opinion.

Good idea!

I'll post and see what happens. I am in a hurry though because I am grounded.

Bret I have one that was slipping, (gear to support) I reinstalled it with a Locktite product for issues like this and it has worked fine, hasn?t slipped. It?s got a new gear on it, which really is the only value I?d place on this.
I just didn?t trust it so bought a new one off EBay.
You could have it for something well under the cost of the good gear on it if this helps.
SDS sells then now also, don?t recall the price but I recall it was pretty reasonable.
The support assembly I have is drilled for a SDS system, that should not impact your LSE install.
Tim Andres

Flywheel

I got one for sale in really good condition that may work for you. It does have the large pulley(about 9.5?). Has the .764? bushing holes in 5 locations and the index bushing hole is .780?. Ring gear is 149 tooth. Photos if you want. Will sell for very reasonable price.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Send me some pics and a price. If you would like, PM me and I'll send you my email address. Also, what is the part number.

Back