What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New engine after 15 years, change mounts?

BMW_X6M

I have purchased a new Lycoming engine from Van's to replace the original rebuilt O-320-D2A in my RV-9A. The engine was installed close to 15 years ago by the original builder I would assume. Should I also plan on replacing the engine mounts? They look OK externally as far as I can tell.

if you go with the Lord mounts, please report a comparison to the old if they were Van's.

We're going through a similar update, albeit only 9 years. New mounts, hoses, exhaust gaskets, etc. - pretty much anywhere "new meets old".

So, my Lord mounts are 19 years old

and I'm not noticing any abnormal airframe vibrations (possibly due to a dynamically balanced prop and maybe the P-mags help at low rpm). No goo dripping out of any elastomers.

Should I replace on condition, or only if I have the engine off for another reason? Did my hoses about 8 years ago - all SS over teflon, from SacSkyRanch, so they're probably okay.

It's sad how much this plane sits now that I'm building again, and have a young family of 4 that prefers to travel together vs. Mom and Bill running away for the weekend. I think I'm at 8 hours year-to-date. :(

Just about any rubber part FWF will be toast in 10 years. Heat, vibration and ozone all take their toll. A new set of mounts is cheap insurance.

How will I know I have a vibration mount problem if I'm not feeling abnormal vibrations? Insurance against what occurrence?

Just want to learn, and be wise.

From the Mother Ship

If they appear to be OK, i.e. rubber is not hard/cracked/delaminated, it?s most likely OK to use them. There are plenty of mounts out there that are 25+ years old and still in service.

Van's Aircraft, Inc.
14401 Keil Rd NE
Aurora, Oregon 97002

Decided to order LORD mounts

After reading some more here on the forum, and after disassembly realizing that I could see sag in the old mounts, and that they were not LORD mounts, I decided to order new LORD mounts. I found a better price, and received another 5% off of my order while shopping at skygeek.com

Comparison Report

The Lord mounts just seemed to be the highest quality, especially in the rubber. Also the Lord mounts encase the center spacer in a very soft rubber with some kind of putty like filling. This inner portion then rides inside of the rubber pucks on the front and rear.
I can't say that I notice any difference in vibration between what I had prior and now with the new Lord mounts. It does appear that the design and materials though are superior to the less expensive mounts I had before.

Hi Scott! The ones on my cozy (1500 hours and 20 years) were replaced last year. We found the engine was sagging 3/4 of an inch.

Back