- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
It's the exemption that requires the gascolator. Personally I would like to have the option which doesn't exist under the exemption. I also like the placarding rules better under 549 as opposed to the exemption. It frees up panel space.
I just did the wing loading calculation for the base Chapter 549 requirements on the RV-10. These were my inputs:

Wing Span: 31'9" (Vans' website)
Flap Span: 95.515" (measured from Vans' 3-view DWG file)
Flap Mean Chord: 14.1191" (measured from Vans' 3-view DWG file)
Wing Mean Chord: 56.0353" (measured from Vans' 3-view DWG file)
Max Flap Deflection: 33 degrees (only place I could find it is in the UK approval document for the RV-10... If this is wrong let me know and I can re-calculate)

Those numbers give a maximum allowable wing loading of 17.3 lb/ft^2.

With wing area of 148 ft^2 (Vans' website), that means you will have to limit your gross weight to 17.3*148 = 2560lb, or thereabouts, 140lb less than Van allows in the RV-10. If you want to register it at 2700 lb as per Vans' gross weight limit, the aircraft will be classified as High Performance, and you will need a High Performance rating to fly it.

If you build under the exemption, the allowable wing loading is 20.4 lb/ft^2, which would allow you to get to Vans' 2700 lb gross without the High Performance rating.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Interesting. I found the exemption gave me more panel space... What parts were easier outside the exemption?
CARS 549.15 Placards mandates placarding on the fuselage and not the panel the way I read it.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I just did the wing loading calculation for the base Chapter 549 requirements on the RV-10. These were my inputs:

Wing Span: 31'9" (Vans' website)
Flap Span: 95.515" (measured from Vans' 3-view DWG file)
Flap Mean Chord: 14.1191" (measured from Vans' 3-view DWG file)
Wing Mean Chord: 56.0353" (measured from Vans' 3-view DWG file)
Max Flap Deflection: 33 degrees (only place I could find it is in the UK approval document for the RV-10... If this is wrong let me know and I can re-calculate)

Those numbers give a maximum allowable wing loading of 17.3 lb/ft^2.

With wing area of 148 ft^2 (Vans' website), that means you will have to limit your gross weight to 17.3*148 = 2560lb, or thereabouts, 140lb less than Van allows in the RV-10. If you want to register it at 2700 lb as per Vans' gross weight limit, the aircraft will be classified as High Performance, and you will need a High Performance rating to fly it.

If you build under the exemption, the allowable wing loading is 20.4 lb/ft^2, which would allow you to get to Vans' 2700 lb gross without the High Performance rating.
Yes, I did those calculations yesterday (after breaking out the tape measure) and came up with pretty much the same conclusion that you did.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
CARS 549.15 Placards mandates placarding on the fuselage and not the panel the way I read it.
The exemption allows it on either the fuselage *or* inside on the panel. If it goes on the panel, there is no height requirement, other than it must be legible.

Note that the common way to get it off the panel *and* the outside of the fuselage, is to put it somewhere it's visible when entering/exiting, but hidden when the door/canopy is closed.

People with Slider canopies have put the warning on the outside of the slide rail, which is visible when entering, but hidden with the canopy closed. People with Tip-ups place the warning on the portion that's visible above the panel when the canopy is open, but is hidden with the canopy closed. I haven't looked, but the RV-10 door frame may have a space where you can fit the warning in 3/8" letters. Note also that there is no restriction on minimum width of the letters... Just has to be legible.

Edited to add: Here is the placard I have on the inside of my tip-up canopy. The label is about 5" wide, and just over 1.5" tall.

Last edited by Snowflake : 11-22-2017 at 01:43 PM.