What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

500 hours, quarter of the way to TBO

bruceh

Well Known Member
I have been flying my RV-9A now for 500 hours.

IMG_4508-M.jpg

We hit it coming back home from a nice long Veteran's Day weekend trip to Texas and Big Bend National Park.

I realize 500 is just an arbitrary number, but it got me thinking, what sort of maintenance items should be looked at more critically as I hit the first quarter of my engines TBO. Is there anything you would focus on to inspect or replace just based on engine hours?

Tires and brakes are recent. I do oil changes every 35-40 hours. The plane has been flying for under 4 years (around 140 hours per year). My annual condition inspections have been uneventful. I've got P-mags and the automotive spark plugs get replaced each year. At some point I know things like seals, hoses, spark plug wires, control cables, etc. will need to be replaced.

Congratulations. That's a good amount of flying. If it is running well, I wouldn't change out anything that isn't required, or recommended by Lycoming. Also, check all your accessories service intervals and SB's, etc,,,,
Do your normal CI and 100 Hour and you may not have much else to do.
She's just getting broke in!

Last edited:
I realize 500 is just an arbitrary number, but it got me thinking, what sort of maintenance items should be looked at more critically as I hit the first quarter of my engines TBO.

Just as arbitrary is TBO.
If you maintain it properly and fly the airplane very regularly, you should be able to safely go well beyond the recommended TBO #.

She's just getting broke in!

Bruce nice to see you keep the same passion and finesse in flying as you did in building! I like your trip reports. Amazing stills please continue. If you see Peter McCoy tell him we miss his narratives. :)

At some point in terms of calendar time you will want to think about replacing hoses, but you are probably not there yet. I think a good thorough condition inspection and regular flying is all you need to keep things in great shape. I can't wait to get there myself.

hobbs time is reduced by 20% or so to get tach or tbo time. feel like you just got a caching$$$$ to your pocket book. ;) at 2,000 the decisions are made to overhaul or continue. my o-360 has been a reliable engine, the first one going 3,150 on hobbs. nothing more than standard maintenance. keep and eye on the SB 338 for exhaust valves. :)
IMG_1635.jpg

Back