- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
Thanks Rob. It's nice to have it summarized in one place.
Keep in mind it's not an exhaustive list.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Your sumps won't release any particulate contamination that is sitting in a low spot elsewhere in the tank when you sump the tank before flight. The gascolator will catch it during flight for you.
What is wrong with the fuel filters being allowed to perform that function? How much crud does one typically find in their fuel?
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Randy, fuel filters will slowly restrict fuel flow as they clog to the point of causing a complete blockage if left unchecked or unnoticed. Until the bowl fills up with sediment and/or water, a gascolator should not restrict fuel flow... And it can be easily checked by draining before each flight.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Just received a reply from TC on my questions:

Question 1 – For an Amateur-Built aircraft built and registered prior to 2006, does the Exemption apply? Or is the aircraft bound by the non-exempted Chapter 549?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC
An amateur-built aircraft completed prior to September 2006 would have been built to the Airworthiness Manual (AWM) 549 standard rather than the standards provided under the original or current Exemption. The continuing maintenance requirements of AWM 549.19<http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part5-standards-549-sub-a-1785.htm#549.19> (b) and (c) would apply.
Question 2 – For an Amateur-Built aircraft built after 2006, does the Exemption apply if the builder is not interested in one of the "Purposes" listed in the Exemption? i.e. the Purposes of (a) contracting for professional assistance, (b) importing a foreign aircraft, or (c) not complying with the max take-off weight or seating requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC
The Exemption is basically a “let”, allowing the builder to opt out of the more restrictive requirements of the AWM 549. If the builder chooses to build in accordance with AWM 549, this is their choice, but the builder will have to be aware that ALL of the AWM 549 requirements applicable to the build will have to be complied with.
The answer to my question 2 suggests that you can apply the Exemption to builds that don't fall into one of the three purposes listed in the Exemption.

Both answers suggest that if you didn't build under the exemption, even if it were in place, you can't operate under it. I'll send another email asking more questions to clarify...
Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Just received a reply from TC on my questions:

Question 1 – For an Amateur-Built aircraft built and registered prior to 2006, does the Exemption apply? Or is the aircraft bound by the non-exempted Chapter 549?

Question 2 – For an Amateur-Built aircraft built after 2006, does the Exemption apply if the builder is not interested in one of the "Purposes" listed in the Exemption? i.e. the Purposes of (a) contracting for professional assistance, (b) importing a foreign aircraft, or (c) not complying with the max take-off weight or seating requirements.

The answer to my question 2 suggests that you can apply the Exemption to builds that don't fall into one of the three purposes listed in the Exemption.

Both answers suggest that if you didn't build under the exemption, even if it were in place, you can't operate under it. I'll send another email asking more questions to clarify...
I will have to go and review this but do you know offhand what he means by "more restrictive" requirements of 549? It seems less restrictive to me if you don't want to apply one of the three "purposes". Perhaps it is the determination of the threshold of what is considered high performance for wing loading under 549. I know that under 549 they take the lesser of 20.4lbs/sqft or a slightly complicated formula that requires you to know a whole bunch of wing parameters (that are not readily available) for determining the threshold for performance classification.
2017 dues paid

Last edited by RandyAB : 11-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:47 PM

Wing loading and placards are the two differences I found other than the three stated purposes. Someone here on VAF suggested that the exemption allows you to build without a gascolator but I don't recall that nor would I recommend it.

The wing parameters are easily available from the plans set that comes with your kit.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Wing loading and placards are the two differences I found other than the three stated purposes. Someone here on VAF suggested that the exemption allows you to build without a gascolator but I don't recall that nor would I recommend it.

The wing parameters are easily available from the plans set that comes with your kit.
It's the exemption that requires the gascolator. Personally I would like to have the option which doesn't exist under the exemption. I also like the placarding rules better under 549 as opposed to the exemption. It frees up panel space.

The wing parameters needed to calculate the wing loading are not in the plans that I see. Mean wing and flap chord? I looked and didn't find it.
2017 dues paid
Old 11-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
Stuff deleted...

The wing parameters needed to calculate the wing loading are not in the plans that I see. Mean wing and flap chord? I looked and didn't find it.
The plan sheets are 1/4 scale. Just measure the wing and flaps on the drawing and scale up.

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004)
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk

Vice President EAA Chapter 245
Old 11-21-2017, 09:32 AM

To keep life simple: If you are building a standard RV just ask your inspector which wording he would like to see in the log book and what equipment is required.

You can be happy or you can be right.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger flying #153

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com
Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
I also like the placarding rules better under 549 as opposed to the exemption. It frees up panel space.
Interesting. I found the exemption gave me more panel space... What parts were easier outside the exemption?

Quote:
Wing area, wing span, and fuselage width are all on the Vans website. Area = (span - fuse_width) x chord. Solve for chord.

Flap span and flap chord can be scaled from the drawings as mentioned earlier.