- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Rob,

I have read through this thread and 549 online a few times (549.01 is missing online). This topic is hurting my brain as I try to understand it. I think you have a good handle of this issue. Can you summarize here what this "exemption" means/does and does it only apply to those aircraft that were inspected with or without the it? Can I assume the exemption was in place if the final inspection was performed during the date range when it was in effect.
Thanks

Bevan
Gascolators installed
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 11-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Basically, two more reasons to use the exemption. Why anyone would fly without a gascolator escapes me.
Not arguing as I am still learning tons. Is it universally accepted that a gascolator is beneficial in the RV 10 where they will be essentially installed at the same level as the tank sumps? Based on conversations that Iíve had with local RV builders, I was inclined to omit them.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:31 PM

The gascolator issue has been discussed at length here and we've seen several different interpretations enforced by different MD-RA inspectors. In speaking with two different inspectors I received two different interpretations, both informed by their own unique personal experience.

No matter what the rules say, I think we're always going to see the human factor, the elements of interpretation, come into the equation. When in doubt, contact your local inspector and get his or her opinion.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
The gascolator issue has been discussed at length here and we've seen several different interpretations enforced by different MD-RA inspectors. In speaking with two different inspectors I received two different interpretations, both informed by their own unique personal experience.

No matter what the rules say, I think we're always going to see the human factor, the elements of interpretation, come into the equation. When in doubt, contact your local inspector and get his or her opinion.
In theory the gascolator is a good thing, but it isn't that practical for the RV configuration. On my airplane it certainly isn't the low part of the system, even though I have it as low in the airplane as I can get it. But my MDRA guy told me that my inspection will go smoother if I put it in, so it's there. And it is a filter and it will take out crud, but it won't be trapping much water.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
I have read through this thread and 549 online a few times (549.01 is missing online). This topic is hurting my brain as I try to understand it. I think you have a good handle of this issue. Can you summarize here what this "exemption" means/does and does it only apply to those aircraft that were inspected with or without the it? Can I assume the exemption was in place if the final inspection was performed during the date range when it was in effect.
I await an answer from TC on this very question. It's my understanding that in order for the exemption to Chapter 549 to apply to your aircraft, you had to have opted for it at the time you completed the aircraft (or in my case, when importing). I don't know if you can apply the exemption retro-actively to an airplane built before the exemption, or to one that was built while the exemption was available, but not referenced in the initial registration.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
Not arguing as I am still learning tons. Is it universally accepted that a gascolator is beneficial in the RV 10 where they will be essentially installed at the same level as the tank sumps?
Your sumps won't release any particulate contamination that is sitting in a low spot elsewhere in the tank when you sump the tank before flight. The gascolator will catch it during flight for you.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I await an answer from TC on this very question. It's my understanding that in order for the exemption to Chapter 549 to apply to your aircraft, you had to have opted for it at the time you completed the aircraft (or in my case, when importing). I don't know if you can apply the exemption retro-actively to an airplane built before the exemption, or to one that was built while the exemption was available, but not referenced in the initial registration.
I don't recall any discussion about an exemption at the time I had the final inspection. I'm sure I would remember if it had come up. May I assume that if the exemption was in place at the time of my inspection, it was inspected and passed with the exemption? Or is this a decision/option I was to make at the time? If so, could you summarize the advantages/disadvantages of going wither way? Thanks.

Bevan
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
I don't recall any discussion about an exemption at the time I had the final inspection. I'm sure I would remember if it had come up. May I assume that if the exemption was in place at the time of my inspection, it was inspected and passed with the exemption? Or is this a decision/option I was to make at the time?
As I said earlier, it's my understanding that if you didn't specifically quote the exemption as the basis for your registration, the exemption does not apply to your aircraft. I've asked Transport for clarification, and await an answer (it took three or four weeks for them to answer the last question about the exemption's expiry).

Quick list of things that are different if you choose the exemption:
1. Simplified passenger warning and placard content, and no height requirement for text.
2. Simplified wing loading calculation which removes a bunch of planes from the high performance category.
3. Allows import of foreign aircraft.
4. Allows higher gross weight / higher seat count for larger amateur-builts.
5. Allows a builder to contract for professional assistance during construction.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Default MD-RA-avionics shop requirements

Hi Terry

I've used Geoff Lee at Tailwind Aviation Services on several occasions for my pitot-static certification for my RV-7 . He's at Tillsonburg airport. Here's the link. "http://www.tailwindaviation.ca/"
He's done several RV's own here in these parts of S W Ontario..he knows what he's doing and will sign your aircraft logbooks and issue the proper paperwork. VERY reasonably priced. Send him an email or give him a call. He may have some suggestions on how to solve your issue.
I've flown from the Sault to my homebase at Stratford , CYSA, in my RV-7 in just a tad over 1 1/2 hours..Tillsonburg is about 15 minutes further on. Nice little airport with a good breakfast/lunch counter.

Good luck
Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD
Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
As I said earlier, it's my understanding that if you didn't specifically quote the exemption as the basis for your registration, the exemption does not apply to your aircraft. I've asked Transport for clarification, and await an answer (it took three or four weeks for them to answer the last question about the exemption's expiry).

Quick list of things that are different if you choose the exemption:
1. Simplified passenger warning and placard content, and no height requirement for text.
2. Simplified wing loading calculation which removes a bunch of planes from the high performance category.
3. Allows import of foreign aircraft.
4. Allows higher gross weight / higher seat count for larger amateur-builts.
5. Allows a builder to contract for professional assistance during construction.
Thanks Rob. It's nice to have it summarized in one place.

Bevan.
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS