What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto clamp torque

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I'm interested in determining the specified torque for the nuts on the clamp plates of the Slick 4371 magneto. I've read back through all available threads in the archives and the information supplied varies wildly. In one thread a poster quoted a Sacramento Sky Ranch source indicating 110 to 150 inch lbs but that sounds low to me. The Champion Slick manual does not seem to specify the specific torque.

My guess is that the right figure is 17 ft lbs (204 inch lbs) as per the Lycoming Manual for standard 5/16 - 18 engine bolts/studs.

Does anyone have specific knowledge on this matter.

When torquing those nuts it's helpful to go into the operation with the understanding of the correct torque. More importantly, it's good to have it in your mind what that torque level feels like. Once you're struggling to get around all the obstructions on the back of the engine it tends to feel like the 16-18ft lbs is way more torque than it should be. This is one of those situations where "that feels about right" likely isn't!

I had some leakage around the mags. I tightened by hand and I ended up putting a pretty good amount of torque on them.

Note that you'll have to re-tighten after the first time it gets up to temp.

Larry

Back