What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Joe has a great APRS site!

humptybump

Well Known Member
My thanks go out to Joe Dubner for his aircraft centric APRS site.

One feature I am really enjoying is the easy integration with Google Earth.

This may not help everyone but for iPad and iPhone users, if you install the free Google Earth app, you can simply click on the "Google Earth Tour" links Joe's site creates and they automatically open in Google Earth!

photo.jpg

Thanks Joe!

APRS Web Site

Thank you for your kind words about my site, Glen. It's gratifying because originally I built it just for myself but later thought others would enjoy it too since the available sites (at that time) were not really suitable for aviation.

May I suggest a better link to access others on the site, not just my tracks?
http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi will list all aircraft APRS stations starting with the most recently reported. On that page additional buttons are available for each aircraft's current position, last track, etc. One can then derive personalized URLs but the "everyone page" is a good starting point for access to anything.

Speaking of personalized URLs, here's my track to/from Aurora, OR yesterday for a visit to Van's Aircraft: http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/tra...=2011-05-12 21:41:23&stop=2011-05-13 05:41:23 The local EAA chapter held a meeting in the Van's factory and Van Himself was there (and provided pizza and soda). Sweet!

Joe, K7JD (-7 when airborne)

I agree, thanks, Joe for a nicer site than the original (but thanks to the original as well).

Its not clear to me how to view this in google earth on the iphone. I see the website, but the text on the map is vanishingly small for me to read.

greg

Last edited:
Totally agree

I have been using Joe's site for a few years. I love its display much better than that on "aprs.fi". The airplane symbol shows the heading and not just to track.

Track%20of%20KD8IIR%20-%20Google%20Chrome%207272010%2070728%20AM.jpg

I use the Google Earth simulation to review my interesting flights.

Google%20Earth%207312010%2035448%20PM.jpg

Thanks Joe or the great site!

Back