What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Data Path

Jamie

Well Known Member
Ok, so let's assume that I want to do my own website for APRS tracking. How do these tracking websites actually receive the data? Are they sent the data from repeaters or what? This is the part I'm not understanding about APRS tracking. Can someone describe the data flow from the point that it leaves the APRS transmitter to the point it arrives on the website? Just curious how this works!

Thanks,
Jamie

Basics

Hi Jamie,

Here is my understanding - Very Basic Info - the signal goes from our transmitter to a repeater and then to an Igate (or directly to an Igate). The Igate uploads the data to an internet database. The websites then tap this internet database to create G-maps interfaces and other cool displays.

I'm sure the specs on the database are out there - Sam or Paige might have more details. (edit: Sam don't know!)

Good stuff here

Last edited by a moderator:
Jamie,

How's it going?

Look on line for info on javaprssrvr .. been awhile since I played with all this stuff, but if I remember right the non-primary servers will allow connections (telnet to a specific port) and wala, you have the data stream live. Try http://www.aprs-is.net for all the info.

There are also "filtering" programs that will allow you to filter the data for a specific geography... There is even one of those for Google earth.

This is all pretty well documented... In fact if you dead end, let me know... Wa4dsy here in ATL was one of the writer of the aprs serve software and he'll know how it all works :)...

Last edited:
I'd be happy to add the ability to display tracks on a sectional chart on RunwayFinder. I've spent a few hours reading through web sites that look they were written by engineers (i.e. very obfuscated) and have yet to figure out how to get a simple list of lat/lon points for a given call sign for a given time period. :confused:

Let me know if you figure it out Jamie.

I'd be happy to add the ability to display tracks on a sectional chart on RunwayFinder. I've spent a few hours reading through web sites that look they were written by engineers (i.e. very obfuscated) and have yet to figure out how to get a simple list of lat/lon points for a given call sign for a given time period. :confused:

Let me know if you figure it out Jamie.

Hey Dave: That's exactly what I was thinking. Tracking laid on top of sectionals or enroute charts. I was also thinking of simply having a notification on my website when I'm airborne (i.e. you go there and see "N622JP is currently airborne, click here to track").

From everything I've seen it is pretty obfuscated...there definately doesn't appear to be a nice client API,etc. It looks like most of the technical stuff for parsing frames is here.

Surprisingly, a lot of the code involved here seems to be held very close and not much open source/free stuff.

Hey Dave: That's exactly what I was thinking. Tracking laid on top of sectionals or enroute charts. I was also thinking of simply having a notification on my website when I'm airborne (i.e. you go there and see "N622JP is currently airborne, click here to track").

Jamie, take a look at the thread I just started "Adding An APRS map to your web site". It doesn't answer all your questions but is a start.

thread

Back