What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One more fuel Pressure sensor question

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Been 5 years since LBII first flew so memory is hazy on some parts. I have the new Kavlico with three wires, also have a 25v, 330 MICROfarad capacitor-- brown cylinder slightly larger than a pencil eraser (I'm an aero engineer, not an EE, so way out of my area). If I looked at it right, the original sensor has 2 brown wires coming from it. Is it possible to simply splice the new wires into those rather than messing with the wiring bundle and its connectors? Ground (black) won't be a problem but how do I tell which of the other two wires goes where?

I believe that I need to update the Dynon after installing this senor?? Mine hasn't been updated for 4 years so it's WAY behind.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM at 344 hours

Been 5 years since LBII first flew so memory is hazy on some parts. I have the new Kavlico with three wires, also have a 25v, 330 MICROfarad capacitor-- brown cylinder slightly larger than a pencil eraser (I'm an aero engineer, not an EE, so way out of my area). If I looked at it right, the original sensor has 2 brown wires coming from it. Is it possible to simply splice the new wires into those rather than messing with the wiring bundle and its connectors? Ground (black) won't be a problem but how do I tell which of the other two wires goes where?

I believe that I need to update the Dynon after installing this senor?? Mine hasn't been updated for 4 years so it's WAY behind.

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM at 344 hours

Short version - you have to run a new wire. I just replaced my original oil and fuel pressure sensors on my RV-4 with SkyView. The old sensors had two wires. Once was ground, the other was the sensor lead. The new Kavlico sensors need to see +5V for excitation voltage on the green wire. I tapped into another sensor wire already running from pin 18 on my EMS.

Remove the two brown wires from the old sensor and measure the voltage on each of them using ground as a reference.
The brown wire with 5 volts on it connects to the green wire on the new sensor.
The other brown wire connects to the black wire on the new sensor.
Connect the red wire on the new sensor to the white/red wire that goes to the manifold pressure sensor.

Back