What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using wire straps here?

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anything speak against to use plastic wire-straps here, instead of the metallic hose clamps to save some weight?
Or would that compromise best practice procedure of fuel line plumbing and installations?
BTW. I am building EAB

Thanks for your oppinion or remarks on that.

28ckf0y.jpg

My suggestion would be to follow the plans. I'm sure Vans did it that way for a good reason. Plastic ties, vibration and time can collaborate to make an effective saw if you're unlucky, and the weight saving over Adel clamps is minimal. However, if you're not E-LSA, you can decide which way to go.

another opinion

Just a thought two plastic wire straps ( of good quality )on the rubber from the metal hose clamps

A piece of shrink rap on each tube before you put the fittings on may also work

I also don't like the metal hose clamps on the fuel lines.

I think there is room for improvement in this design

My View

Try a sample to see what you think send a photo if you like it for more opinions

EAB is what the EAA is all about.

Joe Dallas

Does anything speak against to use plastic wire-straps here, instead of the metallic hose clamps to save some weight?
Or would that compromise best practice procedure of fuel line plumbing and installations?
BTW. I am building EAB

Thanks for your oppinion or remarks on that.

Last edited:
You might consider using a CLAMPTITE tool to make a clamp out of safety wire around the rubber hose. The tool makes a neat compact clamp with no sharp ends or protruding screws. I have not used it for this application but think that it should work.

You may want to consider working on the lines in the installed position. Orienting the clamps
Properly, they can be easily reached with a screwdriver. Not sure if other tools would work in that position.

Back