What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D-180 Update to Revision 5.6

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Noticed on the Dynon website that an upgrade to 5.6 is available. Does Van's intend to issue a locked settings file for 5.6? Is a locked settings file required?

I don't think anyone at Van's is aware that an update had been released (no notification from Dynon...)
After reviewing the release notes (you can view them your self HERE), it doesn't look like anything changed that would impact an RV-12 at all.

Communication with Dynon confirmed that this update would not be necessary for any RV-12 (unless it has been converted to a tail dragger ;)).

Scott,

If a locked setting file is not/will not be available to upgrade to 5.6, then, you should revise the instructions to upgrade to 5.5 contained in the download section of the Van's website. http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm

The instructions tell one to download the Dynon Support program from the Dynon website. This will not work cause it is a 5.6 upgrade. The user should use the Dynon Support program contained in the zipped file "Dynon 5.5.0.zip".

Scott,

If a locked setting file is not/will not be available to upgrade to 5.6, then, you should revise the instructions to upgrade to 5.5 contained in the download section of the Van's website. http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/downloads.htm

The instructions tell one to download the Dynon Support program from the Dynon website. This will not work cause it is a 5.6 upgrade. The user should use the Dynon Support program contained in the zipped file "Dynon 5.5.0.zip".

It has been a while since I have done any work with a D-180, but from what I remember, once you have the Dynon support program, you do not have to download it again.... it just acts as a software interface between your computer and the D-180. If someone doesn't have a copy of the support program, I am pretty sure it is available for download as an individual file from the Dynon web site.

We have been told that loading this update is of very low importance and it is not needed on an RV-12. We also were told that new units shipped from Dynon probably wont have it installed... that it is only needed for specific installations. If you have any questions, I suggest you contact Dynon tech. support.

I believe the Dynon Support program is specific to the revision level desired. Only saying your instructions "RV-12-Dynon D-180 Support Program download instructions" should not tell the user to download the support program from Dynon but should tell the user to use the Dynon Support program contained in the zipped file on the Van's website (download section). The support program and the locked setting file in the Vans download section will upgrade the D-180 to 5.5.

Agree that 5.6 is not required. The Dynon Support program on the Dynon website is for the 5.6 upgrade (for which there is no locked setting file).

Last edited:
Back