What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 26-11 calls for 426ad4-4.5 none included

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
So on page 26-11 where you back rivet the f-01443 on the bottom skin it calls for rivets that weren't included. Yeah I know I can cut them from -5's but I need 40 of them. I guess my point is I would have gladly paid the extra $1.50 these would have cost. What did other builders do here?

I'm actually just starting page 26-10 so you got my attention. I just looked at my rivet inventory and if you are talking about the AN426D4-4.5 rivets, they are found in bag 1303; more than enough. Did they not include them in your kit?

You are correct. That rivet was not provided. Time to do some snipping on -5 rivets. Agree; should have been provided but easy to do. Thanks for pointing this out, 1 day ahead of time. I'm doing the tail dragger version and trying to figure out all of the differences.

I had an issue on the inboard rib for the tank, plans called for AN470AD4-5 which I could not get riveted because they were too long, clearly a 4.5 fit perfect. I called builder's assist and they told me if In doubt they always supply a longer rivet and expect the builder to judge if it needs to be trimmed, they don't supply -half on any size. B&C has -half sizes by the way. At least in this case they are giving you a heads up before the part gets ruined like my case. My rivet trimmer does not have half size which further complicates the issue for me.

I do not think I could build an aircraft without a full assortment of rivets on hand. Many times the plans call for a couple rivets and rather than search Van's bags , I just go to my stock tray and pick them out. Luckily rivets are not that expensive.

Looking around online I can't even find a 4-4.5 for sale. My cutter so far sucks and the tips get a angle on them so I suppose I'll try the full length -5's. My suggestion to Vans is to either include these rivets or make the f-01443 plates a bit thicker for the -5's.

Just used my rivet-snipper to reduce the 5's down to 4.5's. Took about 10 minutes to do 40 of them and the cuts are clean and straight.

Looking around online I can't even find a 4-4.5 for sale. My cutter so far sucks and the tips get a angle on them so I suppose I'll try the full length -5's. My suggestion to Vans is to either include these rivets or make the f-01443 plates a bit thicker for the -5's.

As you already found, half sizes in 1/8" rivets are not as commonly available as they are for 3/32 rivets (which is why they are not supplied in the kit).

If proper riveting techniques are used, I have never had any problems setting cut rivets (even ones cut with a cheapo rivet cutter).

As you already found, half sizes in 1/8" rivets are not as commonly available as they are for 3/32 rivets (which is why they are not supplied in the kit).

If proper riveting techniques are used, I have never had any problems setting cut rivets (even ones cut with a cheapo rivet cutter).

Fair enough. I guess a note in the plans might be helpful to others.

What is the recommended procedure after cutting a rivet? Just install it? I ask this because I volunteered doing work on a B-17 undergoing restoration. When we had to cut a rivet we would dress it by hitting it lightly with a file to make sure that there were no burrs.

Back