What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Pedals

MWH265

Well Known Member
I noticed the rudder pedal bars on my 6A have the right rudder most aft and left rudder fore. Most if not all the pictures I have seen on the internet of peoples projects shows them in opposite configuration. Should I consider switching them and what kind of issues could this cause?

Thanks,
Mike

I noticed the rudder pedal bars on my 6A have the right rudder most aft and left rudder fore. Most if not all the pictures I have seen on the internet of peoples projects shows them in opposite configuration. Should I consider switching them and what kind of issues could this cause?

Thanks,
Mike

Assuming hanging pedals -

The plans show the two cross bars in the common configuration you mention.

The weldments are different - plans sheet 43A - and it looks like the plates for the hinged brake pedals would not line up correctly when all is in the neutral position.

Since it was a "cut and built it yourself" effort it could be the builder compensated for the swap when he made the brake hinged parts - Note R5 on the Sheet 43A.

How do the brakes line up with the rudder cables tight and no rudder deflection?

Last edited:
Yes, they are hanging pedals. The right brake pedal is angled towards the pilot more than the left. When the rudder is straight there is no play in the cables and the bars seem to line up fine. I will check out the pages you refer too.

Thanks,

Yes, they are hanging pedals. The right brake pedal is angled towards the pilot more than the left. When the rudder is straight there is no play in the cables and the bars seem to line up fine. I will check out the pages you refer too.

Thanks,

That would be the only issue.

Given how hard it would be to extract the two rudder bars and swap them fore and aft - I would suggest simply making a new F-6117A brake side plate for one side only and adjusting the lower hinge hole to make both pedals have an equal slope per note R5. Only 5 rivets would need to be removed and replaced on each pedal.

Note "one side" in this case means left foot vs right foot, not pilot vs co-pilot. :)

Last edited:
That has always been the plan to correct the un matching angles of the brake pedals. Its off enough that I think I would have to fabricate a new piece and make it a half inch longer or so.

That would be the only issue.

Given how hard it would be to extract the two rudder bars and swap them fore and aft - I would suggest simply making a new F-6117A brake side plate for one side only and adjusting the lower hinge hole to make both pedals have an equal slope per note R5. Only 5 rivets would need to be removed and replaced on each pedal.

Note "one side" in this case means left foot vs right foot, not pilot vs co-pilot. :)

Back