What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Bridge iPad Interface for PMags

nigelspeedy

Well Known Member
I've had PMags on my engine from the start. I recently had the chance to install and fly with an "Engine Bridge" module from http://www.enginebridge.com. The deal was I got one of the early prototypes in return for providing the developer feedback.

The unit is designed as a display for the PMag ignition settings, ignition advance, coil/plug health and also as an interface to make changes to the PMag settings.

The unit is connected to each PMag Tx, Rx and Tach line. The unit also needs power and ground. There is also an option for an LED that can warn of a timing disparity between two ignitions or be used as a timer. The resulting wiring bundle connects to the unit via a DB9 connector. Not hard to do even if your aircraft is already flying.

The unit does not have a screen but instead links to your iPad via Bluetooth and displays the various values via a dedicated App. As the module has no screen there is no need to mount it in the front of the panel, where space can be at a premium. I mounted mine behind the panel on top of the map box. The unit is approximately 4.5" long, 3" wide and 1" thick.

Engine Bridge Module
Engine%20Bridge_zpscqp8ergt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After downloading the App connecting to the Engine Bridge was relatively easy and just needs the device serial number to be entered.

One concern you might have with iPad via Bluetooth to PMag is what happens if the connection is lost, the iPad fails or the wiring to the PMags fail. Good news is that the engine keeps on running. The Engine Bridge is designed to operate as a display of PMag values and is not needed by the PMags for function.

The App has several screens as shown below.

Configuration Page
Configuration_zpste5ughpv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ignition Operation Page
Ignition%20Display_zpsrezcdcvc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ignition Settings Page
Current%20Settings_zps6q5v0iwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Change Settings Page
Change%20Settings_zpsr6ht1jft.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The App menu structure is simple, a lateral swipe takes you from one page to the next.

In some case I feel the icons or text were a little small. Good news is that iPad screen real estate is plentiful and these simple changes could be done in software during an App update.

The App has a simulator mode so that users can get competent in its use prior to flight.

Similar to my experience with the EICommander if you write new settings to the PMags while the engine is running the PMags suspend firing briefly (~0.5 seconds). This feels like an inflight mag check and the higher the power setting at the time the more abrupt this feels.

On the Ignition Operation Page there is the option to display the refM and refV (a PMag internal reference to the MAP and self generated Voltage). In my experience these values were not representative of actual MAP (as displayed on my Skyview EMS) or voltage and are of no practical value. They are user selectable so you can simply chose not to have them displayed.

If there is no user interaction with the App the iPad will go to sleep. I would like to see a suspend sleep mode option (such as in ForeFlight) added.

Price at time of writing for the module was $285 and the App was $2 from the Apple Store (which is refundable against the purchase price of the module).

If you are after a display for your PMags, or want an easy way to make changes to the various settings then the Engine Bridge is worthy of consideration. The large screen size of the iPad and simple menu structure makes interface with the ignition system quick and easy.

Although it can be done I don't recommend using the Engine Bridge for making ignition timing changes while the engine is running. Think ignition display vice ignition inflight controller. If you want total control of your engine ignition then you should chose a different ignition system (which is no fault of Engine Bridge, just a limitation of the manipulations possible with the PMag timing base map).

Cheers

Nige

You should add a propeller balancing feature! You already know the prop position...

Thanks for sharing. The Prop position is accurate while the engine is not running. Seeing the data while the engine is running won't work for such a precise need for Dynamic balancing. I would say the prop pick-up externally with a tape/sensor or Hall-Effect sensor will be better and eliminate any possible slight error from the PMag readings. Though interesting idea.

Does this have the ability to change the timing advance, etc while the engine running and in the air or is mostly monitoring the status?

Does this have the ability to change the timing advance, etc while the engine running and in the air or is mostly monitoring the status?

Yes, Settings can be changed in-flight, on ground, engine running or not. Though keep in mind changing Settings in-flight will make the engine "miss" as PMag needs few milliseconds to save the new settings in its internal flash memory, this is fine, you just need to expect it. Hence the recommendation in the manual to do changes on ground. Many uses it in-flight though.

The Prop position is accurate while the engine is not running. .

Somehow EI commander can report p-mags "timing mismatch". my guess is that probably the tach signal is synchronized with the TDC and it's probably accurate... I doubt that the professional prob balancers have precision better than maybe 5 degrees, simply because of the size of the reflective tape.

Somehow EI commander can report p-mags "timing mismatch". my guess is that probably the tach signal is synchronized with the TDC and it's probably accurate... I doubt that the professional prob balancers have precision better than maybe 5 degrees, simply because of the size of the reflective tape.

The iPad edition App does the timing mismatch feature with a LED output. Though its not included in the Wi-Fi edition. We are planning to release a tiny separate board (1" x 1.5") that is dedicated to this feature only. Its planned to be low cost (around $40). It was decided to have it as a separate board so it can be installed even without controller. It does offer a LED output and also a single Analog output to show the "divergence" read out on Glass panel. Connection to this small board will be just the two TACHs.

Yes, it won't be a 5 degrees error if using the TACH, though it first depends on how accurate the blow-in-the-tube was done and if it is within 1 degree of actual TDC when the TACH first setup.

Back