What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 panel replacement - cut and use existing panel?

jamlip

Well Known Member
I am interested in updating the panel of my 1987 RV-4.

To minimise downtime, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to cut-away the existing panel to create a flange of 3/4" or so all the way around, fix anchor nuts to the back, and then attach the new panel over the top with machine screws?

I guess what I'm really asking is - is the panel a structural in an RV-4?

And, is this acceptable practice, or a hokey mess? I feel fairly confident that it will look smart when finished.

Agree with Chris

Last year I replaced my panel. Did it thru UpNorth aviation. Had the new panel sent directly to him from Vans, he cut it to my specs for the dynons and I just used the old panel for a template for the mounting pieces. Replacing the panel is easy if you can do simple riveting. Before/after pictures on RV-4 forum ?show us your panel? page 18. Ben

A local friend had his panel updated a few years ago in the same manner you describe. I have the same plans for my RV-3 whenever my schedule allows time for an upgrade and I can tolerate being without the plane.

I?m trying to avoid drilling out rivets to replace the panel in its entirety because I don?t want to mess up my paint?still in exceptional condition after 20 years!

With my friend?s permission, I?ll try to snap some pics next time I?m at the airport. The front skin behind the firewall is currently removed for some other maintenance activities.

I replaced the panel in my RV4 a couple of years ago. I used the existing panel, installed some nutplates, and cut out the center section. Ordered a new panel from Vans, cut to my liking and installed. Saved a bunch of time vs trying to replace the entire assembly.

RV4 PANEL UPGRADE

I upgraded my panel 6 months ago in my 1989 RV4. I made an overlay that I screwed over the top of the existing panel. Cut out the existing panel where there was interference with the new cut outs. It worked well and I did not have to reconstruct the flange seal to canopy or the latch with the canopy. I can send you pictures if you send your email address. My email is [email protected]

Not structural

I had the same question. I called Van's and was told that the panel is not structural other than to hold the shape of sheetmetal in front of the canopy. There is however, I small cross bar under the panel that does carry some load. I think it just keeps the fuselage square. What you want to do will work but it is easy to just replace the panel.

That's exactly what we've done. Works well..

IMG_3504-small.jpg

More Four

Jim,
I built my RV4 back when Dinosaurs roamed the taxiways and steam gauges were the rule. My flea market round dials eventually needed replacement so....
I used MGL Avionics 2 1/4 and 3" digital instruments similar to Hans IFD-Net EFIS* that R&R'd easily in my existing RV4 panel and are lighter weight as a bonus.
Much easier than cutting...

http://www.mglavionics.com/

iPad with the iLevil AHRS work well also...:)
V/R
Smokey

PS: *Hans, how do you like the IFD-Net EFIS?

Last edited:
Jim,

PS: *Hans, how do you like the IFD-Net EFIS?

Love it!

Very lightweight and small box. A breeze to install and set up, very affordable (I believe we've paid around $850 for it) and works flawlessly.

They have two different models, one with moving map and digital images of round instruments (and HSI) at the push of a button. We've chosen the simple one, with just the EFIS screen. Plenty for us.

This answers my question perfectly.

I think overlaying a new panel will help minimize downtime as I can build and test everything out of the aircraft.

Thanks guys!

did 3 of ?em panels on the -4... yeah, technology was moving faster than I was building ;)
Nevertheless, using 2ea AN-3 bolts on each bottom sides had (and still has) the panel removable pretty quick, and useable as a pattern to trace the outline on the new blank...

Good luck on yours!

And as an FYI: Vans has a Autocad file of a plain panel on their web site (or at least, it used to be on the old site, I'm sure they've found a place for it on their new one as well). This file includes some standard cut-outs for instruments. A few hours of CAD work and maybe $80 of CNC will get you sorted without having to cut one bit yourself :)

I am interested in updating the panel of my 1987 RV-4.

To minimise downtime, I was wondering if it would be acceptable to cut-away the existing panel to create a flange of 3/4" or so all the way around, fix anchor nuts to the back, and then attach the new panel over the top with machine screws?

I guess what I'm really asking is - is the panel a structural in an RV-4?

And, is this acceptable practice, or a hokey mess? I feel fairly confident that it will look smart when finished.

How did your project end up? I am in a similar spot where we plan to remove 6 steam gauges in the middle of the panel, install a sport EX and leave all other existing gauges on the sides...trying to figure the best way to get it done.

I just replaced the panel on my RV4. I bought a new blank from Vans ($55), and cut it out with my jig saw (20 minutes), using my old panel as a template. It fit perfectly. Then I marked my new equipment and cut those holes out with my jig saw - maybe 2 hours with the saw and a vixen file. These holes would also have to be made if you made individual panels as you suggest. I mounted nutplates for attaching the EFIS screens and radio rack, and I was done - aside from painting it. All in all, it doesn?t take that long, and is easy to do.

Back