What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prior flying life

neck101

Quick question for the -8 community. Just curious how many of you flew, or are still flying, tactical aircraft (ie fighters or attack aircraft) in the military? Also, was this a determining factor in choosing the -8 over other models?

Former Phantom driver trying to decide on which model to build...

Thanks.

Quick question for the -8 community. Just curious how many of you flew, or are still flying, tactical aircraft (ie fighters or attack aircraft) in the military? Also, was this a determining factor in choosing the -8 over other models?

Thanks.

No fighters but a lot of Attack Helicopter time. The 8 is the "Poor Mans P-51" for sure. The control harmony is what people dream a light plane will be like. With a Super 8, (the 540 LYC engine), it's even better. No regrets.

Up until 4 years ago, it was my left hand (Airbus). Right hand on the stick, left on throttle, is just too natural.

Where did you fly Phantoms?

No jet jock here, Navy helos and turbo teeny weeny’s. Flying a six with a left hand throttle - junior A6 I guess

The other models (6,7) will do everything within a knot or two of what the 8 will do except give perhaps give you the “fighter pilot” look/vibe/savoir faire you may be looking for when the prop comes to a stop in front of the crowd outside of the FBO in Podunk, USA.

I mulled this over for a while before I bought, and while I enjoyed the sleek lines of the 8, when I asked the girlfriend I’ve been married to for the last 40 years what her thoughts were, she far preferred sitting beside...vs behind.

Putting her back there in an 8...while appealing to my P-51 Markedly-Long-of-Tooth-Fighter-Pilot-Walter-Mitty urges...would likely also definitely reduce her enthusiastic approach towards jumping in and hitting the road with me in it (one of my major ambitions for us with this purchase.)

Anecdotally, I’ve heard it’s also harder to keep the heat on back there for pax in the wintertime. A definite downer for being on the road with her.

Finally, with a pax back there the handling can definitely be affected...putting a 200 pounder back there for a demo flight will put the CG to a point where you need to mind things a bit more assertively...still a pussycat, but it bears watching.

I found a low-time, very well built 7, bought it, and have never looked back at the purchase with an ounce of regret. She loves our magic carpet, the trips it allows us to take and the places we go. She was right...side by side makes conversation and sharing sights on the ground as the world spins by much easier...Her name for our RV? Her “Private Jet”! :)

Just another POV to make your choice more difficult...either way, whichever you choose you will greatly enjoy it!

Regards,

Rob S.

Last edited:
Up until 4 years ago, it was my left hand (Airbus). Right hand on the stick, left on throttle, is just too natural.

Where did you fly Phantoms?

I agree, even after many Bus years, my right hand works better.

I was "stuck" in Germany for 3.5 years while you were enjoying short 6 mth cruises on the Boat.:D

Make sure they try tandem. Having their own "nest" works as well for some as a shoulder to nap on and eye contact without neck craning.

7 or 8

My son and I have owned both. The 8 can’t be matched for “coolness” but in almost every other respect, the 7 is a better plane for us. Wife is happier, my son and I can keep an eye on the grandkids and, with our left hand throttle quadrant, it’s still like the military jets we both flew.

Last edited:
The other models (6,7) will do everything within a knot or two of what the 8 will do except give perhaps give you the ?fighter pilot? look/vibe/savoir faire you may be looking for when the prop comes to a stop in front of the crowd outside of the FBO in Podunk, USA.

I mulled this over for a while before I bought, and while I enjoyed the sleek lines of the 8, when I asked the girlfriend I?ve been married to for the last 40 years what her thoughts were, she far preferred sitting beside...vs behind.

Putting her back there in an 8...while appealing to my P-51 Markedly-Long-of-Tooth-Fighter-Pilot-Walter-Mitty urges...would likely also definitely reduce her enthusiastic approach towards jumping in and hitting the road with me in it (one of my major ambitions for us with this purchase.)

Anecdotally, I?ve heard it?s also harder to keep the heat on back there for pax in the wintertime. A definite downer for being on the road with her.

Finally, with a pax back there the handling can definitely be affected...putting a 200 pounder back there for a demo flight will put the CG to a point where you need to mind things a bit more assertively...still a pussycat, but it bears watching.

I found a low-time, very well built 7, bought it, and have never looked back at the purchase with an ounce of regret. She loves our magic carpet, the trips it allows us to take and the places we go. She was right...side by side makes conversation and sharing sights on the ground as the world spins by much easier...Her name for our RV? Her ?Private Jet?! :)

Just another POV to make your choice more difficult...either way, whichever you choose you will greatly enjoy it!

Regards,

Rob S.

I agree 100%
Little to no performance and responsiveness are not given up when compared to the RV-8 (and 4).
The only real difference is the sight picture (symmetrical vis to both sides) and sitting on the center line.
I understand the whole left hand right hand thing and worried about it a bit but found that it doesn't take very long for the brain to get fully trained. now, after many hundreds of hrs spread among all the all RV models, I can jump from a 7 to an 8 and not even think about it. I would make that very low on the reasons list for going one way or the other.

Current Hornet bubba here; I've got an -8. I love the tandem seating for formation and flying around solo. Now that the girlfriend comes flying with me, the -7 would probably be a little more ideal, but the reality of it is that about 90% of my flying is still solo, and the centerline seating is awesome for that.

I flew tactical jets off carriers and of course my first choice was an 8. Of course, she didn't like and since she is also a pilot, she would had to be in the back. I weigh 230 and she weighs 120. CG dicates me in the front.

We sat in a 7 and she loved it. The decision was no longer a choice. In retrospect, I would now buy a flying 6. You can find good ones at a reasonable price or even a 6 pack and upgrade it.

I agree, even after many Bus years, my right hand works better.

I was "stuck" in Germany for 3.5 years while you were enjoying short 6 mth cruises on the Boat.:D
No boat for me (except as a student)...Marine Phantoms in Hawaii and Westpack (Orient).

I decided on the -8 after flying several other similar experimentals. Having flown fighters for 20 years (A-7, F-105, F-4, F-16) I knew I wanted the responsiveness and balanced controls that any RV delivers. It had to be tandem as I expected to be doing formation flying and aerobatics and I appreciated the roomy back seat for my non-pilot wife. Could have been happy with a nose wheel but too many others scoffed at that and I'm glad I put the wheel on the tail because it is cool! The -8 lends itself to a P-51 style paint scheme so that helped to sell me.

Last edited:
Former A-7, A-10, F-16 pilot. I picked the RV-8 since I expect to be flying by myself 90% of the time. If my wife flew with me more often, I would have picked a side-by-side model.

My wife loves our 8

I?ve read so many posts about the other half wanting to sit beside their other half I had to chime in.
We have over two thousand hours in our 8 and spousal unit loves her nest with nav capabilit, leg room and shoulder room galore. (not even considering the much better view).She?s ridden with cramped shoulders and half a view and much prefers our tandem.
The 6/7 aren?t any better or worse than the 8, just different. If you want the coolness and style of a fighter, the 8s your ride.
And Smokey, it?s a really good thing you opted for no training wheel.

Neck,

Build what you want if you can afford that.investment of time.

If not, quickly find a good RV, any RV, at the right price, and fly the testicles off of it.

Find a better RV later if you have to, using the knowledge of your previous RV flying.

Rinse, repeat.

Go Navy!

The -8 lends itself to a P-51 style paint scheme so that helped to sell me.

Qfm2c7NshZAaOU-7kscJPyt7KojqAGkMXc8GaOBe8IxUh4spo4cDYfZlVruynjiUBpyjNXGPV5DSlOv0hsx-Oo5MSBVHh_E0J5kAOjvgB0LkX7LSNCDmoRUbUnQX_y8bjCc8BW8oLws=w2400

The -8 looks great in a Navy Corsair paint scheme too. Hornets and Skyhawks in my past. The -8 is the only choice IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm bias cause I own an 8 but there's really only two things to consider, looks and mission. I sold the wife many years ago (smartest thing I ever did!) so no contest, tandem seating is the way to go as you feel you are one with the machine, much roomier too. The only advantage I found with a 6/7 was the large accesable luggage area behind the seat, that's all that I wish I had sometimes in my 8:)
I would loved to have flown military but was never meant to be, the closest thing for me is the Lear's I've flown over the years:)

Perhaps a bit OT: but has anybody put a VA-176 A-1 Skyraider paint job on an RV-8? I was thinking the other day that might be pretty snazzy, but I can?t tell if it wouldn?t look as good without a giant exhaust smear down the side :D

I'm bias cause I own an 8 but there's really only two things to consider, looks and mission. I sold the wife many years ago (smartest thing I ever did!) so no contest, tandem seating is the way to go as you feel you are one with the machine, much roomier too. The only advantage I found with a 6/7 was the large accesable luggage area behind the seat, that's all that I wish I had sometimes in my 8:)
I would loved to have flown military but was never meant to be, the closest thing for me is the Lear's I've flown over the years:)

You?re very fortunate that you were able to sell the wife. I have several friends who ended up having to buy out the remainder of the contract and it gets expensive!

Retired F-15E and T-38s here, and the performance of the 8 is definitely part of the attraction.

As is how it looks on the ramp!

I was Marine A-6 B/N who wanted A-6s, not F-4s, because I wanted to look out the front window. When it came to deciding between a 7 or 8, I thought about that regarding my wife. She said to get what you want as most of my flying would be without her. I ordered the 8A and two years later I finally got my demo ride at the factory. After we landed, the demo pilot took her up. I was praying she liked it as I had a lot of $$$ tied up in it at that point. The first thing she after landing was, "Hurry up and get it done". She liked having her own space, not bumping into me and having the higher canopy rails where she didn't feel like she might fall out a door like a in Cessna or Piper. Unfortunately she's had many medical issues since which have really slowed the build, but it will get done.

Semper Fi from a fellow Marine. Thanks for your reply. I have several friends who also flew the Intruder for the Corps. Sorry to hear about your wife...I hope she gets better soon.
And thanks for your service in the FBI. I'll bet you have some interesting thoughts on the **** that the FBI leadership has been committing.
Neck

You?re very fortunate that you were able to sell the wife. I have several friends who ended up having to buy out the remainder of the contract and it gets expensive!

Actually 'selling' the wife was somewhat tongue in cheek, I too had to pay, twice actually! But even though I've made mistakes and bad choices when it comes to the fairer sex I've not been like that when it came to chosing an aircraft, the RV8 (conventional U/C only) is by far the best love of my life hands down!:D

Mankind dreamt of flight all those years ago, we here just continue that dream thru one mans design:)

..an -8 for yourself and a -10 for taking wife and family..

Flying an -8 just feels right....it's fast, it's agile and you are in your own space..

But for family and passengers..on the whole..they prefer side by side and a nose wheel.

My wife and older kids far prefer the -10 to travel in. It's much better in strong cross winds and you can take it flying in all weathers...within reason. That means when you take it away, you know you will get back home..

Hope that helps..

ex Tornado GR1..

Last edited:
Consider All Models

Wanted an -8, traded my Maule for a -6 instead. No regrets, love my -6. Light handling and nimbleness reminds me of the TA-4J. Mine was set up to fly from the right seat, I like that, being right handed. 160 KTAS @ 7.3 gph. Very pleasant, easy aerobatics. Most enjoyable aircraft I've ever flown. Flew Phantoms and Harriers. Don't limit your thinking to one model.

I don?t rate, but this hack has no problems going from tandem left lever throttle to side by side right hand knob. No issues. Many times I have flown both same day. Not a second thought. It is really a non-issue and I don?t think I am anything special.
I must say, when I am flying along in the Bucker, and see a train, it must be destroyed. I don?t get those same urges in the 6.

Retired F-16. I've owned both RVs in question. I flew my RV-8 for about 850 hours before I sold it. I missed having an RV, so bought a RV-7 shortly afterwards. I now have about 150 hours on the -7. Here are my observations:

- Performance and handling is close. Don't let this be a deciding factor since it's pretty much a wash. Buy as much engine and prop as you can, then go have a blast. Properly equipped, they're both great performers.

- The -8 stick in the middle and throttle on the left side is superior. I've gotten used to flying with my left hand and working a vernier throttle in the right, but it's not ideal.

- Formation flying is easier in the -8 due to better visibility.

- Aerobatics are easier in the -8.

....and in my opinion, that's where the -8 advantages stop:

- The -7 has much more panel space, and I think you can get a superior panel design into the side-by-side cockpit with fewer compromises.

- Getting baggage in and out of the -7 is much simpler. I have the Supertracks canopy extension for my slider and I highly recommend it. It's also nice to be able to reach back to access baggage items during flight. In the -8, you're stuck with whatever you can stow up front with you.

- When flying solo, I really like being able to put things in the empty seat next to me.

- When flying with a passenger, the experience is much better for both of us in the -7. Better visibility for the passenger, much better heating, and easier to get in and out. My family really liked the -8 and had no complaints flying all across the country in it, but once we got the -7 everyone said they like it much better.

I hope this helps. The good news is that you can't really make a bad decision here. They're both great designs.

I was Marine A-6 B/N who wanted A-6s, not F-4s, because I wanted to look out the front window. When it came to deciding between a 7 or 8, I thought about that regarding my wife. She said to get what you want as most of my flying would be without her. I ordered the 8A and two years later I finally got my demo ride at the factory. After we landed, the demo pilot took her up. I was praying she liked it as I had a lot of $$$ tied up in it at that point. The first thing she after landing was, "Hurry up and get it done". She liked having her own space, not bumping into me and having the higher canopy rails where she didn't feel like she might fall out a door like a in Cessna or Piper. Unfortunately she's had many medical issues since which have really slowed the build, but it will get done.

John,

Welcome to the forum. Sent you a PM.

Retired F-16. I've owned both RVs in question. I flew my RV-8 for about 850 hours before I sold it. I missed having an RV, so bought a RV-7 shortly afterwards. I now have about 150 hours on the -7. Here are my observations:

- Performance and handling is close. Don't let this be a deciding factor since it's pretty much a wash. Buy as much engine and prop as you can, then go have a blast. Properly equipped, they're both great performers.

- The -8 stick in the middle and throttle on the left side is superior. I've gotten used to flying with my left hand and working a vernier throttle in the right, but it's not ideal.

- Formation flying is easier in the -8 due to better visibility.

- Aerobatics are easier in the -8.

....and in my opinion, that's where the -8 advantages stop:

- The -7 has much more panel space, and I think you can get a superior panel design into the side-by-side cockpit with fewer compromises.

- Getting baggage in and out of the -7 is much simpler. I have the Supertracks canopy extension for my slider and I highly recommend it. It's also nice to be able to reach back to access baggage items during flight. In the -8, you're stuck with whatever you can stow up front with you.

- When flying solo, I really like being able to put things in the empty seat next to me.

- When flying with a passenger, the experience is much better for both of us in the -7. Better visibility for the passenger, much better heating, and easier to get in and out. My family really liked the -8 and had no complaints flying all across the country in it, but once we got the -7 everyone said they like it much better.

I hope this helps. The good news is that you can't really make a bad decision here. They're both great designs.

That's a great feedback report. I agree with the luggage comparisn, the 7 is the winner there but in my mind that's where it ends:)
We are all very visual creatures, we often buy things purely for looks, I know I did to some degree and I got the added bonus of the 8 being superior in most areas over the 7:)

An lot of the decision depends on physical size.

Solo, small stature? RV-4

Mostly solo, tall? RV-8

Dual, small stature? RV-6 or 7

Dual, tall? RV-14

Some tall guys can't close the canopy on a 4, which is why there is an 8. Two six footers in a 6/7 is almost a clown car. It's why they designed the 14.

The "mostly solo" question requires a dose of reality. I know a lot of guys who factored in the wife's desires, and at almost 40 years married I'm certainly not knocking it...but a high percentage of those wives just don't go very often. All good partnerships include some mutual compromise.

Gash - fixed the right hand on the stick thing with a left hand throttle in my six using an 8 rear throttle kit. Works great and falls to hand like it was designed into the origin

Dan - I’m 6’4 and fixed the clown car feel with what is essentially an almost 14 mod, pushing the pedals forward to the max and cutting out shoulder room in the slider sill. Actual measurements give me a bit more room than a 7. Very comfy.

It is all good either way.

Close but no cigar

Thanks.

JR,
I started building my RV4 while flying Vipers at Misawa in the late 80’s. I chose the 4 not to be “fighter-like” but to be a 180mph Super Cub. There is no airplane on earth like the F16, so attempting to re-live the old days wasn’t my mission.

The 8 wasn’t an option until my Four was “well seasoned” after 10 years of flying, and when I test flew a friends new RV8 (one of the original serial numbers) I liked it but not nearly as nimble, light or sporty as the Four. On the plus side of the 8, for guys over 6’ the 8 cockpit is more roomy, forward baggage handy, spring steel gear a plus, big canopy excellent.
The RV4 was in my mind and still is the definitive Sport Plane.

However....
When I returned from Iraq in 2004 I purchased and rebuilt a Harmon Rocket 2 which I liked more than my Four and is far superior to the 8 in neatly every aspect except high ownership cost and limited factory support where the 8 and RV4 excel. If you’re not planning on building, the Four is the most bang for your buck. I stand by my earlier statement...hope that helps.

Stop by 52F sometime and visit DR, Randy and the gang for lunch....:)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Retired F-16. I've owned both RVs in question...

That Vernier throttle thing can be fixed with a simple panel upgrade.

I my case, I put a throttle quadrant in the center, which makes a much better experience when flying formation or acro. It also makes it easier to fly from the left seat.

This is an old picture of my panel, which has since been upgraded with a SkyView.

(Click to enlarge)

Back