What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newton Fuel Caps/Flanges

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
Yes, I?ve used the search function.

Getting ready to build our RV-10 fuel tanks and would like to install the nicer Newton Aero 300 caps. I?ve been unable to find the correct part number for the Van?s specific flange. I assume the T-00007B anodized flange for the -14 only fits the plastic SPRL cap and the replacement metal ones that Aerosport produces.

Anyone have a part number for the flange and locking cap? I tried reaching out to Robin at Newton but no luck.

Try calling Van's, as they used to sell them as teh "upgraded locking" fuel caps. I ordered mine from Van's several years ago. Maybe they still have a part number?

FYI, do not loose the keys. They are $20 a piece and take a month to get a replacement!

Just an FYI.

I built a set of RV-14 tanks and was not impressed with this fuel cap. I would have used the standard caps but these tanks already had the larger hole for these caps.

Carl

FYI, do not loose the keys. They are $20 a piece and take a month to get a replacement!

Glad you brought this up. I purchased my kit second hand and it has the locking caps but did not come with keys (thankfully not locked). Who would I contact for replacement keys?

I had no problem getting extra keys at a locksmith store here locally and for less than 20 bucks apiece. Might try that as an option?

I had no problem getting extra keys at a locksmith store here locally and for less than 20 bucks apiece. Might try that as an option?

Extra keys wouldn't be a problem if I had a key. Or, are you saying your were able to have keys made when none were available?

Just an FYI.

I built a set of RV-14 tanks and was not impressed with this fuel cap. I would have used the standard caps but these tanks already had the larger hole for these caps.

Carl

Did you have the plastic SPRL cap or the more expensive Aero metal cap? They are different animals which is why I'm trying to purchase the Aero model.

Did you have the plastic SPRL cap or the more expensive Aero metal cap? They are different animals which is why I'm trying to purchase the Aero model.

The plastic ones.

The Aero caps are much nicer - but in my opinion grossly overpriced. I find the standard fuel cap a better option.

Carl

I bought the locking caps from Van's with my wing kit and I had to mill and sand the flanges an enormous amount to get them to fit the curvature of the tank skin. Anyone else seen this? I removed probably over 1/8" of material from the front and back parts of the flange just to get them to fit to the inside of the skin without very large gaps.

Deluxe Locking Caps

I bought the locking caps from Vans with my slow build wings. Also had to do a lot of work removing material around the flange to match the skin profile. The caps are very nice though, easy to open without tools and don't leak like some others.

Extra keys wouldn't be a problem if I had a key. Or, are you saying your were able to have keys made when none were available?

I did have a key but but locksmiths can make a key for a lock when missing a key? I did have a time though finding a locksmith with a store front and inventory. Not your usual ACE. (most are mobile only with limited inventory working out of their house).
My key will open other fuel caps so if you have friends with the same cap try their key. If it fits great but will not turn you will at least have discovered the proper blank for the locksmith. Helpful for sure.

I was able to contact Newton directly. Ordered the Van's specific flange and locking fuel cap. A Newton fuel valve I just bought from ACS was about 5 versions out of date, so it's going back.

Hope Brexit doesn't bring the Royal Mail to a halt over the holidays - would like to get the tanks done before the end of the year.

Back