What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Valve Pointer

pa38112

Well Known Member
On my RV6 the fuel valve pointer is the handle. On my son's RV6 the handle has a little pointer which is 180 degrees from how my plane works. We both agree that the larger handle being the pointer is the way, and we want both planes to be set-up the same. I have purchased 4 valves and can not find one that is easily modifiable so that the handle is the pointer. Is there an older valve that was set up with the handle as the pointer? mine has no evidence of the pointer ever being filed off, so I think it was that way from day 1.

I have a circa 2008 valve in a -10, so not sure if this applies:
1. IIRC the valve has 4 output ports, 90 deg apart. So if you disconnect all the lines, loosen the valve, rotate it 180 deg, you should have the orientation you want (??) to reverse the handle (???)
2. Again, on the 10, in 2008 the design was changed to a handle that looks like the one on a Piper Warrior/Archer: a very long, thick pointer. It incorporated a very nice "lift before turning" mechanism to prevent turning the valve if there was an accidental bump. The parts included a valve with a slightly thinner shaft.

Sounds like someone didnt look at the instructions closely during assembly, easy thing to do. It can be turned around, but it is a fair amount of work. Maybe something to do during the next annual.

Here you go with pictures. Ironflight to the rescue again.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=619221&postcount=1

This is easy to do..... Drain your tanks down. Do not remove valve body from plumbing, just unscrew the nut under the handle and pull the handle, shaft, spring and cone out. Drive out the pin and rotate the cone and drive the pin back in place........... Install entire unit back into valve body.

Do grind off the pointer to reduce confusion. To remove the handle, back off the screw 3 turns and while holding only the handle, rap the screw head with the handle of your screwdriver.

Last edited:
Valve handle

Cleco Pliers make a great valve handle puller. Back off the screw 3 or 4 turns first.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

This is easy to do..... Drain your tanks down. Do not remove valve body from plumbing, just unscrew the nut under the handle and pull the handle, shaft, spring and cone out. Drive out the pin and rotate the cone and drive the pin back in place........... Install entire unit back into valve body.

Do grind off the pointer to reduce confusion. To remove the handle, back off the screw 3 turns and while holding only the handle, rap the screw head with the handle of your screwdriver.

This does not work. Sure you can turn the basket 180 degrees, but then the third port is also 180 degrees out.

This does not work. Sure you can turn the basket 180 degrees, but then the third port is also 180 degrees out.

Vans typically provides a four port valve and one port is blocked with a plug. Just move the plug after rotating 180

Back