What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yikes! $160 for FCC Radio Permit

Noah

Well Known Member
You don't need an FCC permit (license) to operate VHF aircraft radios or transponders domestically in the USA anymore. But if you communicate with foreign stations or make international flights, you need an FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Permit, according to current regs. The fee for this is now $160. (Some people on here have indicated that they paid $2 for theirs sometime around Orville Wright's first flight) ;)

Question: For those who have flown to the Bahamas or Canada, has anybody in an official capacity ever ACTUALLY ASKED TO SEE your FCC permit? If you fly internationally WITHOUT an FCC permit, and have never had a problem, please post as well.

Thanks!

the fines far outweigh the savings you are attempting, just pay your dues and fly with the right paperwork

(Some people on here have indicated that they paid $2 for theirs sometime around Orville Wright's first flight) ;)

Don't know about Orville, but Wilbur and I must have been in line together, and they were FREE back then! :p

Question: For those who have flown to the Bahamas or Canada, has anybody in an official capacity ever ACTUALLY ASKED TO SEE your FCC permit? If you fly internationally WITHOUT an FCC permit, and have never had a problem, please post as well.

Thanks!

No for both places on several occasions in RV's

I think it is worse than you think. Besides the operator's permit, I think the FCC wants you to have a station license, too, for another $100+, for the airplane.

I do not understand the reasoning here, nor do I understand why the FCC should have any authority as to what you do in another country.

I too am old enough that I have an operator's license that I got for free. It is a yellow piece of cardboard that I signed, sent in, and got back from Washington with an official stamp on it. It looks like something a ten year old made in art class.

It's been a while, and it wasn't in an experimental, but neither Mexico nor Canada ever asked to see these documents. But of course that is no guarantee of future developments.

I flew for a number of year in the Bahamas part 135, and was never asked. They want people spending their money in the islands not in the US. As for $160 mine was free.

Back in the old days of radio -- 1977 -- you had to have a radiotelephone license to work at a radio station if there was a transmitter in the building. AND you had to pass a test.

I don't know, I just paid $226 for a piece of wire attached to some wire (an Artex ELT antenna), I think you're getting more for your money from the FCC. :rolleyes:

...I too am old enough that I have an operator's license that I got for free. It is a yellow piece of cardboard that I signed, sent in, and got back from Washington with an official stamp on it. It looks like something a ten year old made in art class...

Yep, pretty much, but I have carried mine daily for almost 50 years and it is still legible, mostly.

IMG_0616.jpg

Mine too except my name isn't typed, it's written in by hand. As I said, looks childish (I guess that's a comment on my printing).

Now I'm confused....

I thought you needed a STATION license for your plane when flying international.

I got one of these radio operator licenses when I got my Student pilot license in 1974.

*GASP* $160???? I'd better find that baby!

Dkb

Someone told me I didn't need mine anymore so I might as well throw it away. I didn't, because I thought someday I might need it.

I just pulled mine out of my wallet. It's dated June 24, 1981, and my name is hand printed (by me). Seems like mine was free, also.

I thought you needed a STATION license for your plane when flying international.

I got one of these radio operator licenses when I got my Student pilot license in 1974.

*GASP* $160???? I'd better find that baby!

Dkb

The Station one is $160

The Operator one is $60

Official form with fees here - but you probably will need a decoder ring to get through the FCC gobbley-gook...:)

http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form1070/1070y.pdf

I agree with the "gobbly gook". This has to be one of the worst web sites of all time, in terms of lack of clear instructions. I was never able to clearly decipher the costs for each (station and operator) license, nor how to get just the station license.

I know temporary registrations are not allowed for crossing the border. Anyone know the rules on having a temporary radio station license? (Since apparently no one ever checks anyway, I'm guessing no one knows!)

Question -

For those with APRS, they have a Technician class license. Doesn't that fulfill the operator license requirement?

(To Bob C's earlier point, I kind of remember a test for a third class license. Somewhere along the line, those got replaced by the restricted radiotelephone permit. And, there was no charge.)

Dan

Someone told me I didn't need mine anymore so I might as well throw it away. I didn't, because I thought someday I might need it.

I just pulled mine out of my wallet. It's dated June 24, 1981, and my name is hand printed (by me). Seems like mine was free, also.

Don,
Same here. Zero dollars.
I guess they couldn't find a typewriter.

Thanks!

Never & I've been to the Bahamas several times.

I agree with the "gobbly gook". This has to be one of the worst web sites of all time, in terms of lack of clear instructions. I was never able to clearly decipher the costs for each (station and operator) license, nor how to get just the station license.

I know temporary registrations are not allowed for crossing the border. Anyone know the rules on having a temporary radio station license? (Since apparently no one ever checks anyway, I'm guessing no one knows!)

I think that is an FAA restriction on temporary stuff.

The FCC recognizes the temp certificate....

I think this says so...

http://www.hallikainen.com/FccRules/2012/1/931/

(6) An applicant for an Aircraft Radio Station License may operate the
radio station pending issuance of an Aircraft Radio Station License by
the Commission for a period of 90 days under temporary operating
authority, evidenced by a properly executed certification made on FCC
Form 605.

Last edited:
Question -

For those with APRS, they have a Technician class license. Doesn't that fulfill the operator license requirement?

(To Bob C's earlier point, I kind of remember a test for a third class license. Somewhere along the line, those got replaced by the restricted radiotelephone permit. And, there was no charge.)

Dan

NO - it only allows rights on certain amateur radio bands...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/ham-radio-frequency-privileges-technician-class-ge.html

Back