What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breaker Toggle switches

Zero4Zulu

Well Known Member
I am planning on using a few Breaker type Toggle switches.

I have a fuse block and a small bank of circuit breakers. Two busses so far. Where should I tap into for incoming power to my Breaker toggle switches? Tap into the incoming power to the busses? Or, use an oversize fuse in one of the fuse block stations so the switch would trip easier than a larger fuse?

Thanks for any input.

More questions to come...

Steve

What's typically done is to make a main power bus. This has some sort of current limiter device between it and the battery contacter. Then the fuses and breakers and switch breakers are all in parallel, powered from the main bus. Note that the fuse block itself is either an extension of the main bus or is the main bus itself.

There's no reason to have more than one circuit protector in series with another except for that main bus current limiter.

At least that's the way it appears to me.

Dave

It is not a good idea to put a fuse in series with a circuit breaker. Even a much larger fuse is likely to blow before a circuit breaker trips.
None of Bob Nuckolls' electrical drawings have a current limiter in series with the main feeder. Good installation workmanship will insure that the feeder does not short to ground. If it does short out, the pilot can shut off the master switch.
The alternator "B" lead should have a current limiter at the end closest to the battery.

I understand the need for a couple of breakers with fuses (e.g. for alternator field)... but why throw breaker switches into the mix?

Switch/breaker

I used switch /breakers for the pri and bu alternator fields, so that I can control their output if needed. I used a pull breaker for the flaps and everthing else is on drop down fuse blocks. Tapped off of the main bus with #14 and jumped the breakers, except the bu alternator I jumped off the e bus with a short pc of #18

Last edited:
My question is, where to hook the wire for power to the breaker toggle switches? I would like to avoid having a stack of Ring connectors on the main feed line stud on the fuse block, because my fuse block swings down from the panel and I have the main feed fat wire secured to accommodate the swinging action. The small wires to accessories will travel off the opposite end of the fuse block with them secured there.

Maybe instead of a large fuse, a jumper in the fuse location then it would be the same as tapping directly to the main feed line. I'll probably get flamed for this idea... I'm just wanting a clean way to power a few Breaker Toggle switches. Any more ideas?

I am planning on using a few Breaker type Toggle switches.

I have a fuse block and a small bank of circuit breakers. Two busses so far. Where should I tap into for incoming power to my Breaker toggle switches? Tap into the incoming power to the busses? Or, use an oversize fuse in one of the fuse block stations so the switch would trip easier than a larger fuse?

Thanks for any input.

More questions to come...

Steve

Where did you get the feed for the "small bank of C/B's?" Just tap into that.

Larry

That would work Larry. Hadn't thought about that.

Thanks.

Panel is ready for paint and the labels showed up today.

Back