What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin gpsmap295

RV10Man

Well Known Member
I have a couple of old 295s. One of them, when powered up says "searching the sky". That's all it does, none of the bars for satellites light up.
Anyone ever seen this?

The other one works fine. Says "acquiring satellites" when you turn it on.

I had the exact same thing happen to my 295 a while back. I searched the entire internet and found this solution. It worked right after and ever since. But as they say, your mileage may vary.

Turn the unit off,
Then press and hold the quit and route buttons and then press the on button.

Good luck.

Thanks Fly. I'll try it.
I looked everywhere I could think of for the solution.
Then I decided to try here.:)

OK. Tried that......I think.
Was there a particular sequence you used? Like, hold the buttons down while you powered it up, then went through the "agree" while still holding the buttons, etc, or.........:eek:

Just press and continue to hold bothe the quit and route buttons simultaneously. Then with your third hand press the on button. From my memory, I let go of all three when the first page appeared (I think the "agree" page). As I recall, nothing magic seems to happen, but it's an internal reset. My unit simply started functioning after that.
One more thought... I just remembered that I had replaced the internal memory battery. That is located inside the unit and is solder in. Not a big deal, but I heard that can cause what your seeing because the unit has no idea where you are. So if the reset doesn't work, next I'd try the internal battery. For me though, the reset was it.

Just press and continue to hold bothe the quit and route buttons simultaneously. Then with your third hand press the on button. From my memory, I let go of all three when the first page appeared (I think the "agree" page). As I recall, nothing magic seems to happen, but it's an internal reset. My unit simply started functioning after that.
One more thought... I just remembered that I had replaced the internal memory battery. That is located inside the unit and is solder in. Not a big deal, but I heard that can cause what your seeing because the unit has no idea where you are. So if the reset doesn't work, next I'd try the internal battery. For me though, the reset was it.

I'm going to bet it's the internal battery.
It hadn't been used in AT LEAST 10 years.

Back