What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Controller Appreciation

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
Spent Sunday morning at Prescott going around the circuit with a stiff crosswind.
It struck me, as it has before... that our particular controllers are just outstanding. The friendly voices... wishing all a good flight (even the air med helo headed out) is refreshing.
So, any controllers out there who worked the holiday, so we RVers could come and go >>>>>>THANK YOU.
My spouse and co-pilot is not very comfortable with the transmit side of things, but the controllers are always patient. And the Riddle girls...in the trainers, who sound like they are just out of junior high never get laughed at.
I often have little appreciation for our FAA, but I sure do like the experience with some tower and ground controllers.... Cheers

Agree

Baton Rouge controllers are similarly helpful. I feel lucky to have trained at class C BTR for my private and instrument. Always feel like they're on my side. I've been helped out and given particular indulgences at unfamiliar airports like Santa Fe and Colorado Springs when my ignorance could understandably have resulted in harsh responces. These helpful controllers always make me a better/safer pilot. Fear of the com was bigger than fear of crashing when I was starting out. Thanks to all the controllers that helped me get over it.

John

Last edited:
I'll throw my thanks in there too for the controllers around Kansas City, where I declared the only emergency in my 30 years of flying. Very helpful and patient towards me as I was freaking out (in my head anyway). Thank you.

Kuddos to the OKC controllers as well.
I wound up on top of a layer of clouds a couple of years ago. IN A 150. They were very friendly and helpful in finding me a clear spot to get down. I was never near panic or anything. I simply asked for help and they obliged. One of the sort of neat things was, once I told of my "plight", all traffic on the radio stopped except the pireps of weather in my vicinity. The clouds broke up about 5 miles behind me, controllers gave me a heading to the clear airport. I went there & landed. All this was in about a 10 minute span.

The key thing here, I feel, is the 3 c's. Confess, communicate, comply.:)

Sorry about the threadjack.:D

Nice Shout-out to Controllers

Our controllers at the towered airports here in central Illinois also deserve kudos. Day in, day out, they are helpful, cooperative and informative. In the past, the rare exception to that are asked to move on by tower supervisors.

KLVK

Controllers here at Livermore have always been good, and patient with the large student population.

Remember that it goes both ways: LVK is used by the FAA as an on the job training assignment for new controllers. Once in a while they get in over their heads (and you'll hear the supervisor come on frequency to help); they deserve the same patience from us that they showed when we were learning.

Back