What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Kentucky

Good Places

Rough River State Park, Lake Barkley State Resort, and Kentucky Dam are excellent places to eat. All of these are owned and operated by the State of Kentucky. My wife and I fly there all the time to eat. There is another good restaurant at Kentucky Dam. It is called Patti's Settlement. They will come and pick you up at the airport and take you to eat at the restaurant. The food is outstanding.

1M9 Lake Barkley State Park Aiport
M34 Kentucky Dam State Park Airport
2I3 Rough River State Park Airport

Darren Kerns
RV8 N214TK

Patti's does that?

I didn't know they would pick you up. I will remember that when I get my PPL. Just ate there about 2 weeks ago 2inch pork chop. GOOD STUFF.

Lodge pickup

When my family and I stayed at the Kentucky Dam Village lodge - Patti's sent a van over to get us and then took us back. Just call to get a reservation and let them know what time you need them to fetch you. The airport is about a mile away from the lodge at Kentucky Dam Village.

At Rough River the airport is on the grounds within a short walk to the Lodge building.

Mike

Bowling Green

Bowling Green is the home of the only plant in the world that builds Corvettes and just down the road a mile or so from the plant is the National Corvette Museum. The airport is large but no tower or commercial traffic that I know of. The FBO is in the terminal and they have Hertz rental cars available. There are plenty of accommodations and the city and the surrounding area are very pleasant to visit. If you plan ahead for a group and contact the following, you can put together a fine outing with special tours, badges, gifts, and the usual discounts at motels:

Hertz 270-782-2215
Visitors Bureau 270-782-0800
GM Assembly Plant 270-745-8419
National Corvette Museum 800-538-3883 or 270-781-7973

(Last year I planned a flying trip for our EAA Chapter in my retirement state of Arkansas fully expecting the kind of participation experienced in California - WRONG! - there was response but every single one cancelled in the last few days before the trip. Two flying couples from Florida and Mississippi joined us so all was not lost.)

We got a great rate at the Baymont Inn & Suites which was next to the highway going to the Corvette facilities. The best restaurant was the 440 Main across from the town square.

The National Corvette Museum was OUTSTANDING!

crvtplnttrep1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
OWB Breakfast

Every third Saturday Owensboro, KY (KOWB) has an EAA Fly-In breakfast. Nice D class tower airport and everyone is very friendly. Been going the last three years when weather permits and have really enjoy it. The best part is that breakfast and coffee for $4.00. Have meet lots of really nice people there I think you would enjoy this one.

Thought I better edit the post and update the breakfast increased to $5.00 as of 3/15/08. Still a great deal for all you want coffee, orange juice, eggs, sausage, sausage gravy, rolls, and pancakes.

Squeak
Jasper,IN
RV7A

Last edited:
williamsburg,ky

Cheap fuel($3.95), laoner car several resturants within 15 min. of the airport. The Lodge @ Cumberland Falls State Park has a great buffet on the weekends and is only a 15 minuete drive.

London-Corbin - KLOZ

"The Airport Restaurant" reopen with new management. Nice food and good service.

KLOZ - London, KY

I'll second the recommendation for "The Hangar" restaurant at KLOZ -- really friendly service, good prices, and excellent food. The restaurant is a few steps from the ramp with a good view of the runway as well.

K22 Prestonsburg

Went down to Cloud 9 restaurant last Saturday with the family. They have really good food, prices and nice people.

Wayne Gillispie
Saving for complete RV-10 kit.

Need alittle help. While at the Oshkosh rain in, Someone told me of a Tailwheel only fly inn. As I was told, "in Kentucky or Tenn. somewere on a grass strip next to a river, sometime in Sept.
Has anyone a idea of were such a fly inn is held.
Thanks
Rich
N721ET
RV-6

Lee's Bottom

That got to be Lee's Bottom (64I) but it's in Indiana south of Madison along the Ohio River. Last year it was rained out first time in like thirty years. Year before it was great weather and there were 500 aircraft on display. It is not only for tail draggers but all old aircraft and experimental. Think they call it tube and fabric day. I go to Sun-In-Fun in the spring and just got back from Osh but Lee?s Bottom is by far my favorite fly-in.

Squeak
RV7A

Gourmet burgers, brats and dogs at KEHR this Saturday

This Saturday is the monthly EAA 21 Club Fly-In Lunch. We should have the best fly-in weather of the summer so plan on joining us and enjoy some of our gourmet burgers, dogs and brats.

Just as New York's 21 Club has become known as the HAPPENING PLACE to be and be seen, EAA 21 Club is the place to be on the first Saturday of the month.

When: September 4
10:00 AM till 2:00 PM Central time

Where: Henderson Kentucky City-County Airport (KEHR)

If KEHR is VFR then we are grilling the best gourmet hamburgers, brats and hot dogs this side of Sporty's for all that fly or drive in.

We had 40 planes and a bunch of drive-ins last month. We should have some of the best weather of the Summer this Saturday so fly-in; the two tier observation deck always has a nice breeze and the FBO lounge is AIR CONDITIONED.

Steve Eberhart
Program Chairman
EAA Chapter 21
Evansvile, IN

http://www.eaa21.org

rough river

Saddle up boys. Rough river for lunch tomorrow. (3/19/11) The bowman group should be in the pattern just before 11:00AM.
Dmadd

Saddle up boys. Rough river for lunch tomorrow. (3/19/11) The bowman group should be in the pattern just before 11:00AM.
Dmadd

Couldn't do lunch but a couple of us from 3EV are heading over to Rough River for breakfast Monday morning 3/21/11. Should be getting there around 8:30AM or so.

Best Burgers, and Nathans Franks, in the Midwest this Saturday

This Saturday is the monthly EAA 21 Club Fly-In Lunch. We should have the best fly-in weather of the summer so plan on joining us and enjoy some of our gourmet burgers, dogs and brats.

Just as New York's 21 Club has become known as the HAPPENING PLACE to be and be seen, EAA 21 Club is the place to be on the first Saturday of the month.

When: September 3
10:00 AM till 2:00 PM Central time

If KEHR is VFR then we are grilling the best gourmet hamburgers, brats and hot dogs this side of Sporty's for all that fly or drive in.

We should have some of the best weather of the Summer this Saturday so fly-in; the two tier observation deck always has a nice breeze and the FBO lounge is AIR CONDITIONED.

Steve Eberhart
Program Chairman
EAA Chapter 21
Evansvile, IN

Back Again - EAA 21 Club First Saturday Fly-Ins

Our EAA Chapter?s Saturday Fly-ins, known as EAA 21 Club, were such a roaring success the past two years - We are going to do it again.

We will be preparing Hamburgers, Brats and NATHANS FAMOUS Hot Dogs for all that fly in.

Just as New York?s 21 Club has become known as the HAPPENING PLACE to be and be seen, EAA 21 Club is the place to be on the first Saturday of each month.

When: May 5, June 2, July 7, August 4, September 1, October 6, 2012

10:00 AM till 2:00 PM Central time.

If KEHR is VFR then we will be cooking the best Gourmet Burgers,
Brats and Dogs this side of Sporty's.

EAA 21 Club is expanding. Watch for the announcement about our new Third Saturday Fly-Ins at EVV

Won't be back from Australia in time for the May fly in but hope to make it there in June.

Huntingburg and Daviess County guys

Steve, I will pass the word on to Huntingburg and Daviess County guys. Looking forward seeing everyone on May 5.
Don?Squeak?Schnarr
RV8A

KLOU

I have a business meeting near Bowman Field tomorrow. There are 2 FBO's, does anyone have any pros or cons.

Thanks,
Gary

Rough River State Park Airport

2I3 Great place picturesque location.

roughriver1.jpg

Each side of the runway has parking.

rr3.jpg

Little restaurant by the field with good food. Awesome bachelorette servers :D

rr2.jpg

rr4.jpg

My 6 feet 10 inches autopilot does excellent job and knows the area :D

rr5.jpg

You have GOT to be kidding me!

So me and my lovely "spousal equivalent" planned a flight to Rough River for some lunch yesterday and a little nature walk. During pre-flight of the clubs trusty 152 I noticed some dents and paint rubbed off on the leading edge of the vertical stab. I had never seen this damage before so I cancelled the flight, wanting confirmation that an A&P had found the damage did not pose a hazard to flight. Was disappointed at the time, now IM REALLY UPSET! :mad: I missed out on a chance to meet the notorious V-L-A-D! Granted those dents saved me ALOT of money! I would have been out the cost of a 9 empennage kit that I've been thinking about, and no doubt would have been coerced into feeding the nearest Russian!

Probably would've been worth every penny.

FYI... Lurkers love the adventures of Vlad too.

Alan
Pondering a 7,8,9,12,14.....
Dues Paid

Welcome Alan! Come to RR about the same time next year. Don't worry about the food bill Jeff will take care of it :D

BTW there was a nice RV on the other side of the field I could not catch the N-number.

These are places I know of currently:

First Saturday: Breakfast at Morehead KSYM
Second Saturday: Breakfast at Bardstown KBRY
Third Saturday: Breakfast at Lebanon-Springfield 6I2
Fourth Saturday: Breakfast at Elizabethtown KEKX

Cloud9 Restaurant at Prestonsburg KSJS
Fusion Restaurant at London KLOZ is RARELY open so DO NOT count on it
Moonlight BBQ at Owensboro KOWB is not at airport but they will pick you up at airport
Skyline Restaurant at Portsmouth, OH KPMH (just across state line)

As mentioned in post #2 many years ago the restaurants in the following State Parks are still in operation:

1M9 Lake Barkley State Park Airport
2I3 Rough River State Park Airport
M34 Kentucky Dam State Park Airport

Patti's 1880's Settlement is not at the airport of M34 but they WILL come pick you up!

The lodge/restaurant at Rough River requires a walk of less than a mile but they MIGHT send a car over to pick you up if someone is available.

Any updates for places to fly...things to see...things to eat in Kentucky?

Last edited:
Bowman Field in Louisville, KLOU. Park at the old terminal building (which is cool in and of itself) and then walk across the street to Bearno's Pizza. There's also a French restaurant on the field, Le Relais that is pretty good, it's expensive though? The T-Hangars at Bowman are also just a cool place to hang out on a nice Saturday. Lot's of RV and experimental aviation folks.

Aviation Museum at KLEX is pretty good.

Stanton, KY I50 has a gas station/restaurant that you can walk to. It's been several years, but the burgers were good and cheap.

Back