What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Go-Pro External Mount

BigJohn

Well Known Member
My bro-in-law wants to get some video of ski areas with his Go-Pro hitched to my 12. I'm looking for ideas of how to attach the camera in such a way as to be able to look down without getting structure or prop in the shot. Anybody done this? No use reinventing the wheel!

I have seen at least one mount made that clamped through the hand hold opening at the wing tip.
Should be just as easy to revers the idea and mount the camera on the bottom of the tip looking down.

I use a bicycle handlebar mount on the wing tip handle. No reason why you couldn't mount it looking downwards.

I also have a spare lower fuse access panel with a GoPro mount screwed to it which works well, too. No adverse effects from wither position.

A bit of video (the Midget Mustang could just keep up...):

G-IIHX Midget Mustang

Wingtip mount:

The one I use: Flymount
Similar one: Mast Hero

Lelystad_1024.jpg

Go Pro Suction Mount

I've got a bunch of hours on my Hero 4 using the original Go Pro suction mount. High, low, fast, slow and tons of aerobatics. No problem and very flexible.

Before I ever flew the camera, I loaded the case full of lead shot and flew it in multiple positions - wing (top and bottom), vertical stabilizer, belly, and horizontal stab. That think latches on like crazy. A word of caution here. Use the official Go Pro mount. The cheap knockoffs don't cut it. The Go Pro mount uses a locking suction device and it works really well. Give it a nice clean surface and you are good to go.

Read your operating limitations.

If your operating limitations were issued in the latter half of this year, in the US, you must put you aircraft back into phase I and test anything mounted externally to the aircraft.

If your operating limitations were issued in the latter half of this year, in the US, you must put you aircraft back into phase I and test anything mounted externally to the aircraft.

Is there any guidance to how many hours of test or what maneuvers that need to be demonstrated? Guessing a full 40 hours not needed. Obvious stalls should be done if put on the wing but what if on the fuselage? What maneuvers need to demonstrated if on top of tail?
Any guidance on what the log book entry needs to say?

Is there any guidance to how many hours of test or what maneuvers that need to be demonstrated? Guessing a full 40 hours not needed. Obvious stalls should be done if put on the wing but what if on the fuselage? What maneuvers need to demonstrated if on top of tail?
Any guidance on what the log book entry needs to say?

If you are already in phase II, return to phase I is a minimum of 5 hrs. The limitation is stated below.

19. If the aircraft will have removable externally mounted equipment, it must be test flown in all configurations.
An entry must be made in the aircraft records indicating the configurations flight-tested, unless the original manufacturer’s flight test data for that equipment is included in the aircraft limitations. If relying on the manufacturer’s data, the aircraft and load must conform to the manufacturer’s design and be maintained to manufacturer’s instructions. Otherwise, the aircraft owner/operator must conduct test flights in all configurations and make an entry in the aircraft records indicating the configurations flight-tested.

Last edited:
Back