What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Switches - Specs question

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi all,

I'm starting to design up my panel and have a couple of questions about switches. For background I'm planning on using the VPX Pro for the majority of my switches. They will not be carrying any load, just providing a signal ground. Several switches however will used for Mags & cockpit lighting (LED). I do not plan on having any internal lighting within the switches itself.

I've found some switches on Digikey (NKK rocker switches) that I like and want to make sure they are suitable.

The spec's state: 16A @ 125/250V AC, 5A @ 72V DC for telecommunication applications.

1). Why is there a difference between AC and DC ratings? Heat issues?
2). Why would they state a telecommunication rating or restriction?
3). What does inrush current mean?
3). Could these switches be used as Master & Mag switches?

Thanks Jim

The look I'm going for:

Switches Specs:http://www.nkkswitches.com/pdf/JW.pdf

Last edited:
Not an expert But...

Edit.. I can only answer your 1st question

I believe there is something with the speed at which the circuit is broken. Remember AC and DC behave differently. Because AC alternates (the voltage drops to zero 120 times per second), if the switch is broken slowly arc is quickly extinguished during one of those cycles.

In a DC circuit the arc can be drawn out for a longer period of time. This can lead to pitting of the contacts which can lead to overheating and failure.

Last edited:
Back