What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

At what point should I stop building using Pre-Skyview assembly instructions?

Jackkclark

Well Known Member
I had my share of removing rivets. Not my favorite task. So, to prevent making changes later to accommodate Sky View, at what point should I stop building per the original instructions and resume building with the new instructions that (I assume) will come with Skyview. In other words, should I continue and build the map box or stop at Page 29-6-1? Perhaps if I plan to have a single panel, the map box is still necessary?

Any other words of wisdom? Finishing Kit is on order. Tail cone not attached. Rear window not installed. Have not made changes to static lines yet.

When you get your finishing kit it will be Skyview-ready so build on. You will not be getting conversion harnesses later. You'll be getting the correct instrument panel pieces. You will not have any "redo." You will have it easy!

Now I forget and do not have my plans handy - IF your fuselage kit had the instrument panel pieces, you will get a new left and center piece for Skyview. You will NOT get a revised right side replacement piece (which has the map box cutout.) You might want one, since you might want to put the intercom and ELT switch above the Skyview and not have to deal with those holes left in the right side piece. Check with Vans on this.

You will also have to install nutplates for the bottom of the panel center section (where the radio goes) just like the other two sections. That was optional in the original plans. And some of the holes the original plans said to leave nutplates out of will need them. But this is a 10 minute-no problem job.

Are you E-LSA or E-AB? E-LSA you will not put in a second panel before certification and you will put in the mapbox. Lots of relevant info here although many of the posts are about the conversion process which will not really apply to you. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782

I would go ahead and drill all the extra holes for the Skyview system before I continued with the rest of the fuselage. Especially the extra hole on the baggage bulkhead. I would hate to drill that hole with the tail cone attached. Also, the process of installing the ADAHRS bracket will be much easier before attaching the tail cone.
Bruce

The holes in the bulkhead flange and the ADAHRS bracket add-on were no problem with the fuselage on its side. That would have not been very enjoyable while on gear legs. However, getting the additional cables pulled through the snap bushings in the tunnel would have been easier without so much junk covering the wires. As long as you can turn it on its side, there's nothing that couldn't be done with a bit of cursing ...and Bill obviously did it on a practically finished plane, and fast too.

Keep it on the side while you do the panel too Torsten. I sure wish I could put mine on its side right now. Having my tailcone not yet installed will make a few of the other things a bit easier though.

Keep it on the side while you do the panel too Torsten. I sure wish I could put mine on its side right now. Having my tailcone not yet installed will make a few of the other things a bit easier though.

Why do you suggest that, Don? I had actually planned to put it on legs as soon as the tunnel work is done. I thought it might actually be nicer to work on the panel base when it's horizontal... Am I wrong?

Everything in and behind the panel is very easy to do when the plane is on its wheels, canopy off. But all the control cables, rods, tunnel wiring, and brake pedals are much easier with it on its side. There are other threads with good advice on this.

Back