What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do people use the RV Hotel?

pa38112

Well Known Member
I have been listed on the RV hotel list for a couple of years, and have never had a visitor. I have spoken to two other participants, and they tell the same story. The three of us are in very popular destination spots on the East cost, and we are willing to bend over backwards for fellow RVers ? Loaner cars, hanger space, maintenance, food, ect. ? I know that I always feel like I am imposing by asking to use a stranger?s house. Then I realize that I would want the individual to ask me in the same situation. I am wondering what other RV Hotel participants are experiencing?

First I've heard about the RV Hotel. Maybe not enough people are aware of it. Now that you brought it up, I found it on the front page of the website, but I hadn't noticed it in the past. Great idea.

I've been able to find hangar space in my neighborhood twice in the last year and a half for folks flying in. Haven't ever had anyone stay with us though.

-Dan

I e-mailed Doug some time ago offering up my home near the Mother Ship. But it never got listed. I know the Oregon listings are old. Might be a project that never receives Doug's time in a busy day? But I have met up and made friends with homes thru the forum...

[ed. Bruce,
I’m sorry I don’t remember getting your email. I update these pretty quickly after I get info (not that many people send in info).
Please do and I’ll get it listed.
v/r,
dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I e-mailed Doug some time ago offering up my home near the Mother Ship. But it never got listed. I know the Oregon listings are old. Might be a project that never receives Doug's time in a busy day? But I have met up and made friends with homes thru the forum...

I think his daughter use to manage the list, but with her in college I guess you are correct.

[ed. Nope. I edit it. Please send in your info! v/r,dr]

I've definitely looked through it and have thought to plan trips by it...

Maybe someone from the group can take over the administration of the list... The couple of times I've almost used it, it was out of date.

I am listed there but have never had a visitor. I have attempted to contact some in the past when I was traveling but have never been successful in using it yet. Still hoping to do so in the future though.

I've definitely looked through it and have thought to plan trips by it...

Maybe someone from the group can take over the administration of the list... The couple of times I've almost used it, it was out of date.

Doug, if you would like help with this I will volunteer. I would contact everyone on the list once a year to verify that their information is correct. I could possibly add a ratting system, or a way for people to leave comments and or photos under each listing...

[ed. Thank you for the offer! It’s easy to update, however, so it’s really no problem for me to do it.
Historically, when someone’s housing configuration changes they contact me. Or a neighbor will contact me if the person passes away.
v/r,dr]

I would say most people are afraid to call up a stranger and ask.

If everyone that was on the list put up a quick intro, it might help break the ice of being a stranger as much.

I would assume everyone on the list wants people to call.

Maybe a new forum folder where people can post about their digs... Then people who visit can add to the post about their experience there.

I would say most people are afraid to call up a stranger and ask.

If everyone that was on the list put up a quick intro, it might help break the ice of being a stranger as much.

I would assume everyone on the list wants people to call.

[ed. Most people I’ve met are uncomfortable talking about the interiors of their homes online. Weirdos of the world look for that kind of stuff. That’s why I leave it to the lister to determine how they want to be contacted. Email or phone call.
v/r,dr]

Doug, if you would like help with this I will volunteer. I would contact everyone on the list once a year to verify that their information is correct. I could possibly add a ratting system, or a way for people to leave comments and or photos under each listing...

Keith thank you. I travel on limited budget a lot and the whole idea of RV Hotel is brilliant. Previous years I planned my routes based on RV Hotel availability. However the current list is not current long time ago. I tried to contact probably 80% of listers through the years of 2010-2013. Emails usually bounce but telephone sometimes answered not always by the right person. I stayed with wonderful and interesting people of grand caliber. Always. I think the rating system is absolutely unnecessary the fact that people offer their place is worth 5 stars alone.

Numerous RVators I stayed with are not listed on RV Hotel. They usually contact me offline and invite to stay. And I do thank you very much. From Canada, Alaska to Florida and everywhere in between.

It would be great to have a condensed, active and constantly updated RV Hotel listing. Maybe even an app could be written. It would be much easier and more interesting to go on a trip like Scott Chastain did (America The Beautiful) .

[ed. Vlad! IMHO an app would make it 10 times more difficult than it is already. It’s really no trouble at all for me to update this on a daily basis, if people would send me info. The list works for those who don’t PM or email privately. What’s important IMHO is that people network when traveling. Maybe they use the list, maybe the RV White Pages, maybe PM or maybe just regular old ‘I’m going to be in….’ in the temp area. It’s all good, and hard to beat the simplicity of a simple PDF doc.
v/r,dr]

Numerous RVators I stayed with are not listed on RV Hotel. They usually contact me offline and invite to stay. And I do thank you very much. From Canada, Alaska to Florida and everywhere in between.

Vlad, you're a celebrity... :p

I've used it, it's the only way to travel when it fits in your travel plans! Thanks to everyone offering a place to stay/hangar/vehicle etc, I appreciate it.

Definitely planning to use it next spring. My son and I are planning a 48 states in 7 days trip.

We have been listed for several years. It's not until recently that we've had many takers. We hope to have more. Twice recently we were a stop for Bahamas-bound RVers.

Its my plan to RV hotel from East coast to Eastern Oregon this summer if space is available . Probably July. Ill pay , its not about the money its the just experience and meeting people that can share local knowledge. If not i will sleep in the pilot shack or under my wing, im not picky.

Stale data?

We've hosted numerous rvers over the years, but only once through the hotel list.

I've updated our listing once or twice over the years.

Doug, why not auto-PM the hotel listers a couple of times a year to ask for updates? That way you can purge non-responsive listings, and keep the list more useful.

Charlie

I'm adding my name to the list just to get things started with some new information. I love to help and host so don't be shy about asking!

How can you not find it?

Front page on the left side, along with everything else, in alphabetical order.
Just saying :)

We have been listed for several years. It's not until recently that we've had many takers. We hope to have more. Twice recently we were a stop for Bahamas-bound RVers.

It's helpful that you have "RV Hotel" in your signature. I think I will do that too. BTW, thanks for the inspection, N9396S made it home today!

Great Resource..

I have been on the list for several years, and have had 3 guests and several inquiries from folks wanting a weather hold back-up plan for OSH trips. Its a great thing, and I may be pinging a New Jersey connection in the future, as my wife is from there, and its way easier to fly than drive! As others have commented, if your on the list, Vlad may come visit...I always keep Scotch and Steak on hand for the Russian invasion.

As others have commented, if your on the list, Vlad may come visit...I always keep Scotch and Steak on hand for the Russian invasion.

That **** Russian was over long before I was listed in the RV Hotel. That was back when he was burning vodka in his 9A. I did not realize he was running it on scotch now.

Bill, you update your listing by sending Doug a personal email. After this, you sit back and wait. He gets to it when he gets to it, and has a lot on his plate. I submitted my update last week sometime and it hasn't been changed yet, FWIW, but it doesn't matter much. Vlad will drop in when he will, updated info or not :D

Thanks Bill. What is Doug's e mail? Tried the URL suggested with no luck...

Because of SPAM, it changes. You can find the latest email address here.

At the present time, the above link says
email.jpg

RV Hotel

I love the idea of RV Hotel and as much as we've traveled across country in our plane, have wondered about using it, however many of the listing seem out of date. Is a volunteer needed to reach out to people who are listed and update? Ideas on how to promote so people actually use it?

RV hotel interest.

Im will be flying my 9 from Dare Co. Nc ( MQI) to Joseph Oregon ( KJSY) in the next 2 to 3 weeks . Would love to stay RV hotel if available enroute. Planning pretty much direct from MQI to Billings Montana then into Washington then Down into Joseph Oregon to avoid highest mountains, ( im a flat lander being from the beach here in eastern NC with Minimal moutain flying exp.so kind of intimidated by the Rockies) . If available you can PM me or post here .
Thanks ,
Andy .

Im will be flying my 9 from Dare Co. Nc ( MQI) to Joseph Oregon ( KJSY) in the next 2 to 3 weeks . Would love to stay RV hotel if available enroute. Planning pretty much direct from MQI to Billings Montana then into Washington then Down into Joseph Oregon to avoid highest mountains, ( im a flat lander being from the beach here in eastern NC with Minimal moutain flying exp.so kind of intimidated by the Rockies) . If available you can PM me or post here .
Thanks ,
Andy .

Any RV hotels out there?

RvHotel

I Dont need a hanger just a place to sleep and refresh enroute to Joseph Oregon from Dare Co. ( MQI ) in about 2 weeks or so . Trying to do this in as a 2 day trip weather permitting but im just kinda free wheeling so im open to suggestions for stop overs.

I offer RV hotel on my end , although i dont have a hanger at my house i am close to KFFA ( 2 miles ) and MQI , so dont know if that qualifies as RV hotel but its a place to sleep and relax plus i have a loaner car if interested for my RV comrades.

Well

I'm definitely on your route, but not far enough in to the trip to make a stopover worthwhile.

If you're planning to be enroute July 15, you can drop in for our fly-in BBQ.

I'm definitely on your route, but not far enough in to the trip to make a stopover worthwhile.

If you're planning to be enroute July 15, you can drop in for our fly-in BBQ.

I did notice your fly in and i certainly will if i can , for sure.
Thanks,
Andy

I have a fear of imposing upon people, even though I'd love it if people used the guest room at my house if they were passing through. Heck, I even have an empty hangar.

But I can see why people would be reluctant to call a stranger and ask to stay a night at their house; I know, I am.

B

I have a fear of imposing upon people, even though I'd love it if people used the guest room at my house if they were passing through. Heck, I even have an empty hangar.

But I can see why people would be reluctant to call a stranger and ask to stay a night at their house; I know, I am.

B

I am surely that way, my dad is the opposite and in his car club world has no problems just calling people in the area based on a membership list. 95% of the time once they realize he isn't any stranger than I know him to be and is innocent they welcome him to stop by and check out cars with almost no notice, not a "hotel" adventure but you would be surprised how as humans we enjoy interactions once you get over the "stranger" part.

My plane isn't flying yet, hoping for 2018. But I have had an idea in my head of hitting 48 states and visiting 48 VAF members in the process.

First I've heard of this. I'll be sending my info for those passing through the DFW area.

Hangar space and maybe a guest room 6 miles away.

Just did!

Sort of...

I just checked it for the first time for an upcoming trip to pittsfield MA where I'm looking for some overnight hangarage. No luck this time, but I will be sure to add my hangar to the list and keep checking other places I fly.

Although I don't foresee myself staying the night, hotel style...I certainly wouldn't mind having an adult beverage with and meeting another RV'r at their hangar.

Back