What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

firewall fwd. temps.

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i am looking at lithium batteries and the recommendation is temps less than 200 deg. i read posts that the engine compartment is too hot. i just fired up the oven to 200 deg. and the racks are HOT. i don't ever remember ....say an engine mount feeling that hot. has anyone actually tested temps in any firewall locations?
thanks for any info.

temps

wouldn't be much more to install a cht probe or something like that under the cowl. checking my own temps will be a little late though. i am trying to decide if the lithium batteries will be ok forward firewall. anybody have any temps?

Lithium battery

Bob

I would also like to use a lithium battery

What battery are you looking to use.

Joe D

i am looking at lithium batteries and the recommendation is temps less than 200 deg. i read posts that the engine compartment is too hot. i just fired up the oven to 200 deg. and the racks are HOT. i don't ever remember ....say an engine mount feeling that hot. has anyone actually tested temps in any firewall locations?
thanks for any info.

lithium batteries

Hi Bob Check out Earthxmotorsports.com They have info on there batteries and are the only lithium batteries to use in an aircraft. I,m using 2 in my RV-12 and have mounted them aft of the firewall to keep them out of the heat.

ETX689

The new Battery ETX680 that will be released soon at $349.00
has a operating temperature of -30° C to +60° C and
A ( PCA ) of 680 A and a ( CCA ) of 320A

Maximum of 60A Charge from the charging system

Joe Dallas

Do not purchase an EarthX battery until after Osh!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
6A, O320, battery on firewall same as 7 location= 140 degrees measured on the right (exhaust) side of battery.

thanks warren, some real numbers is what i am looking for. any 12's out there with an engine compartment temp?

engine bay temps

Hi I monitor the air inlet temp to the carby and it is generally about 55 degrees
I can try and download the file from the skyview and get the whole range of temps if you like
ashley

temps

The thermocouple is mounted near the passenger side carby filter which is only a few inches away from the battery
next time I fly I will mount it on the battery to get the actual battery temp
will be interesting to see how the battery actually gets
ashley

NEW AIRCRAFT BATTERY MODELS ARE HERE!

As promised to the Van's forum readers, you are the first to know that the new aircraft lithium batteries are now available for pre-order on the website and they are scheduled to ship at the end of July 17th week.

All of our batteries meet the criteria set forth by Rotax to be an approved lithium battery, (and we are the only lithium battery on the market to have this approval), but what these 3 new models bring (ETX680, ETX900, ETX1200) in addition to what the other models have is:
1. Redundant electronics for the BMS board
2. LED battery fault light indicator that can also be plugged into your control panel.
3. A higher cranking, more capacity models (ETX900, ETX1200) if you need or want more.

These new models will fit into any preexisting PC680 battery box hardware and we are also going to have an aluminum battery box for sale as well on the site that is rated for 30 G Force, and 7 ounces of weight. That isn't on the site yet, but by end of tomorrow it should be there. Check it out at www.earthxmotorsports.com

Thanks Van's for all your support!

Kathy

Last edited:
Not quite a drop in PC680 form factor...

Note that the 'PC680' form factor is NOT a drop in fit... it is a bit thicker and not as wide. I had to rock it back and forth and force it into the box. It would not go to the bottom.

The indicator light is facing the firewall for a typical installation.

The location and geometry for the contact lugs will not allow the retaining strap to be used.

It is pretty close and the exterior plastic housing can likely be shaved a bit to help get it seated. Disappointing.

updated after flight home from Oshkosh:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1000565#post1000565

Last edited:
Back