What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floats on a 12

joedallas

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed floats on a RV12 and is there any reason that you can't and still be light sport?

Joe Dallas

Last edited:
my guess yes

Has anyone installed floats on a RV12 and is there any reason that you can't and still be light sport?

Joe Dallas

Other than looking incredible ugly I don't see why not :D (also pulling into a dock could also be a challenge)

The gross weight would be 1430. A SLSA would not with allowed without a letter from VAN's.

My guess you might have to put it back in phase 1 and not sure if it would be 5 or up to 40 hours

Walt your thoughts?

Gross weight does not automatically increase with the installation of floats.

LSA limits ALLOWS up to 1430 lbs. when on floats. Gross weight is determined by the designer.

Who is the designer

Mel who is the designer if you are building EAB Light Sport

Gross weight does not automatically increase with the installation of floats.

LSA limits ALLOWS up to 1430 lbs. when on floats. Gross weight is determined by the designer.

Mel who is the designer if you are building EAB Light Sport

Technically Vans is the designer. The builder may change the gross weight, but he should not do so unless he can show engineering data to substantiate the new weight.

It's the same as with any other EAB aircraft.

My point was that putting floats on an aircraft doesn't automatically increase the gross weight.

BTW, there's no such thing as EAB light sport. It's one or the other.

There are many E-AB registered aircraft that are also LSA.
Some TC (Type Certificated) aircraft are also LSA.
An aircraft registered as E-LSA may be modified after certification as long as the aircraft still meets the Definition of LSA.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of semantics. Many aircraft meet LSA parameters and can be flown by a sport pilot. That doesn't make them a light-sport aircraft.

FAA really screwed up with this confusing terminology.

Confused

Mel

Scott McDaniels told me that my aircraft is no longer a RV12 because of all the alterations and engine change. I will registers as a RV12M to keep all liability from Van's Aircraft.

What is a aircraft that in EAB and can be flown in the Light Sport Category.
Is that not a EAB Light Sport Aircraft. ( I'm confused please help )

And as long as we are taking what happens for private pilots and light sport aircraft if the 3rd class medical is dropped

Joe Dallas

Last edited:
Mel
Scott McDaniels told me that my aircraft is no longer a RV12 because of all the alterations and engine change. I will registers as a RV12M to keep all liability from Van's Aircraft.
What is a aircraft that in EAB and can be flown in the Light Sport Category.
Is that not a EAB Light Sport Aircraft. ( I'm confused please help )
And as long as we are taking what happens for private pilots if the 3rd class medical is dropped
Joe Dallas

Like I said, it's all in the terminology. It meets LSA but as far as registration, it is simply an amateur-built aircraft; just like a J-3 cub also meets LSA, but it is still a Standard category aircraft. A sport pilot may fly either of them.

The 3rd class medical will not be dropped. If current proposals prevail, certain aircraft will be exempt from the 3rd class medical. A private pilot who has let his medical lapse automatically reverts to a sport pilot.

I agree with Mel that, FAA really screwed up with this confusing terminology.
There are two issues here:
!. How an aircraft is registered.
2. Aircraft that Sport Pilots can legally fly.

An aircraft can be registered as E-AB, E-LSA, E-Exhibition, Standard Type Certificate, S-LSA, and others. No aircraft are registered as plain LSA, none.

LSA is a DEFINITION of aircraft characteristics. LSA does not refer to how an aircraft is registered. A person would not say that their airplane is registered as a high wing aircraft or as a tail-dragger. Likewise, it is improper to say that an aircraft is registered as a LSA, because there is no such thing, at least not in USA.

If a RV-12M with floats is registered as E-AB, it may be flown by a Sport Pilot as long as the aircraft meets the definition of LSA.

As far as I know, the terms " Light Sport Category" and "EAB Light Sport Aircraft" are not official FAA terms.

Last edited:
I agree with Mel that, FAA really screwed up with this confusing terminology.
There are two issues here:
!. How an aircraft is registered.
2. Aircraft that Sport Pilots can legally fly.
An aircraft can be registered as E-AB, E-LSA, E-Exhibition, Standard Type Certificate, and others. No aircraft are registered as plain LSA, none.
LSA is a DEFINITION of aircraft characteristics. LSA does not refer to how an aircraft is registered. A person would not say that their airplane is registered as a high wing aircraft or as a tail-dragger. Likewise, it is improper to say that an aircraft is registered as a LSA, because there is no such thing, at least not in USA.
If a RV-12M with floats is registered as E-AB, it may be flown by a Sport Pilot as long as the aircraft meets the definition of LSA.
As far as I know, the terms " Light Sport Category" and "EAB Light Sport Aircraft" are not official FAA terms.

Very good analogy and explanation.
One small correction; There IS a "Light-Sport Category". That would be SLSA.

Last edited:
No aircraft are registered as plain LSA, none.
LSA is a DEFINITION of aircraft characteristics. ..... Likewise, it is improper to say that an aircraft is registered as a LSA, because there is no such thing, at least not in USA.

Same rules apply here in Australia too, Joe. Register either as S-LSA, E-LSA or AB(E), depending on method of manufacture, but not just plain LSA. It causes a lot of confusion here too. There is a slight difference with the US in that our LSA performance criteria are a little more lenient, eg. - no 120 kt limit, prop can have variable pitch and Vs0=45 kts (not VS1).

Mel,

The "3rd class medical will not be dropped". You are such a pessimist, ... Or maybe you have been dealing with Big Brother long enough to know the ways of the Evil Empire!😜

Rich

Mel,
The "3rd class medical will not be dropped". You are such a pessimist, ... Or maybe you have been dealing with Big Brother long enough to know the ways of the Evil Empire!��
Rich

What I meant by that statement is, nothing has ever been said about dropping the third class medical completely.
The proposal is to not require a 3rd class medical for certain types of aircraft. i.e. Gross weight of less than 6000 lbs, no more than 6 seats, etc.

Having said that, yes, I've been working with Big Brother long enough to see what is likely to happen and my opinion is that this is not going to happen. Things that get dragged out this long seldom get done.
Believe me, I hope I'm wrong!

Baby Steps

I believe if the request was 2500 lbs and 4 people it would have a lot better chance.

Joe D

What I meant by that statement is, nothing has ever been said about dropping the third class medical completely.
The proposal is to not require a 3rd class medical for certain types of aircraft. i.e. Gross weight of less than 6000 lbs, no more than 6 seats, etc.

Having said that, yes, I've been working with Big Brother long enough to see what is likely to happen and my opinion is that this is not going to happen. Things that get dragged out this long seldom get done.
Believe me, I hope I'm wrong!

Seems like the FAA could go the easy route and extend the Sport Pilot medical requirements to the Recreational pilot license. That would help a lot of pilots and get some of the heat off FAA.

Back