What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PAP Flight Test

tomkk

Well Known Member
I'm starting to work my way through the PAP Flight Test cards and had a couple of questions.

Is there a minimum size that's needed for the 4 way speed box to be meaningful?

The test cards refer to a "Cruise Performance & ASI Cal spreadsheet". I can't find that on the Van's site. Anyone know where to get it?

I did see a "RV-12_flight_test_data_template" but that seems to be geared specifically to the D-180. Maybe that's it and I just don't see how to use it.

I'm starting to work my way through the PAP Flight Test cards and had a couple of questions.

Is there a minimum size that's needed for the 4 way speed box to be meaningful?

Tom,
The goal is to reach a stabilized maximum speed on each leg.
If the air is totally smooth (pointless attempting the test if it is not) and you fly smoothly, once the indicate airspeed has peaked and become stabile is long enough. The best result is if the test can be completed within a small localized area so that the air conditions will be the same for each leg.

OK, that makes sense. What about the spreadsheet that's mentioned on page F2-4 of the PAP? I assumed that did whatever calculations were necessary to net out the data gathered in the box but I don't know of a spreadsheet like that (other than the template I mentioned earlier and that doesn't look like it does that). No longer necessary?

Back