What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are used RV-12 kits ELSA eligible?

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
There seem to be some good values on second-hand RV-12 kits on VAF. Am I correct that a finished RV-12 built from these kits would not be eligible to be licensed as an ELSA?

No reason they would not be eligible as long as there is traceability and you can get the 8130-15 from Vans.

Van's requires that a form be signed:
To receive the documentation required to license and fly an E-LSA aircraft, including FAA form 8130-15 Light Sport Aircraft Statement of Compliance, the following statement must be true and signed:
I certify that I have received a complete RV-12 E-LSA kit from Van?s Aircraft, Inc. No components have been deleted, returned or altered. The aircraft will be assembled in accordance with Van?s building instructions.
If I remember correctly, they also require a liability release form be signed. You could call Van's with the aircraft serial number (builder number) and ask if there would be any problem getting them to send you form 8130-15.

There seem to be some good values on second-hand RV-12 kits on VAF. Am I correct that a finished RV-12 built from these kits would not be eligible to be licensed as an ELSA?

I have done this several times regarding RV12 specifically. All it takes is a signed affidavit from seller showing the transfer, specific kits and builder number. The builder number gets re-assigned to the new owner and subsequent kits will be purchased under that number.

How about this?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=125779

Back