What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 + IFly 720

rv3flier

Well Known Member
I'm curious if anyone is using both and what advantages/disadvantages there are to each and how they might complement each other.

I use a 496 and ifly 720. IMO the ifly is clearly superior. It is much easier and quicker to use, screen is much bigger and more detail. The ifly is so easy to use, it does not come with a manual. The only reasons I use the 496 is to run the auto pilot and for xm weather. The ifly is weather capable with adsb and I believe can run the a/p., but as long as the 496 is functional I will leave it alone. Adventure Pilot is a great outfit to deal with on any level. Hope this helps.

Same here - iFly 720 and 496. Only reason 496 is there is for XM (plus I purchased it this way). Waiting for Dynon to add VNAV to autopilot and produce their comm radio. At that time will upgrade panel with those items, plus add Dynon ADS-B. At that time, the 496 will be leaving the panel.

Thanks for the feedback Dave12 and 60av8tor. Later this month I'm picking up a low time (80TT) RV-12 in OKC and fly it back to SW Washington. I was going to use my HTC tablet with Naviator. Screen brightness is an issue with it, even in my 182. Plus Naviator is not all that user friendly compared with what I can find out about the on screen menu systems on the 720. I'll try to set up an XM weather account for the 396 too.

When I sold my RV-3 in late 2011, the ferry pilot was using the nearly new IFly 700. He was very positive about it too. So, with your additional input, I think I'll bite the bullet and order a 720.

396 and a iFly 700

I have a 396 coupled to my EZ pilot which is used on all cross country travel. The iFly 700 is relative new to me and I have moved it on a Ram mount several times to get it into viewable range. I like the 700 because of the screen size and abundance and ease of information on it. But I still use the XM weather off the 396. Probably will never remove the 396 but the 700 is one amazing GPS and nav devise. The ease of use, interface and data make for a great portable GPS. If you try to make it a panel mount ( don't recommend trying to do that) you will need to add the external antenna.

Adventure Pilot does sell the AirGizmos dock for the ifly. Also, the 720 is much better in the -12 or any other canopy aircraft. It is easier to see in bright sunlight than the 700. I have mine on a ram mount just under the switch panel and it tilts upward just in front of the switches. I have tried it several other places and like this location the best. You won't be disappointed.

I think that you will find that the iFly 720, with a X96 GPS will not meet the position reporting requirements for ADSB compliance. Yes, it does work, but I think that you will be locked out of most of the controlled airspace, come 2020.

I think that you will find that the iFly 720, with a X96 GPS will not meet the position reporting requirements for ADSB compliance. Yes, it does work, but I think that you will be locked out of most of the controlled airspace, come 2020.

True but that is still 4 1/2 years away. I am replacing the 495 with the new iFly740 which is even brighter than the 720.

Back