What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying With A Skyiew

todehnal

Well Known Member
I had a neat feature on my old Garmin 196 GPS in my Cub. As long as I had an active flight to a destination airport, as I neared the airport (10, or 20 miles out) a lubber line would overlay on the HSI display, and move up, or down the screen displaying my glide slope to the runway. This was really nifty when traveling to strange airport in low visibility conditions. If I used the extended runway projection, it would almost bring me right down to the numbers. I can't find anything like that on my Skyview?? Surely my new Skyview has something to simulate that old lubber line on a 15 year old black and white display hand held. What am I missing??

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was looking for the info in the wrong place. With my old 196, it was overlaid right on the HSI display, but it looks like the Skyview displays it on the VSI strip next to the altimeter. I never looked there. I always thought of it as a poor man's glide-slope. I just couldn't imagine that feature being omitted. That feature is a real asset when you are looking for the runway at a strange airport. I will certainly check that out on my next flight. Appreciate your help.............Tom

The Skyview also has the flight path marker. Keep that on the threshold and you will get there.

Vertical Speed Required to Destination(?)

Check out page 4-11. It won't bring you down to the numbers but it will get you to pattern altitude when you arrive at your destination.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/User_Manuals/SkyView_Pilots_User_Guide-Rev_U_v12.2.pdf
Tom: are you referring to the magenta line in this statement:
"...When the Vertical Speed Required to Destination info item is active on the Map a magenta line is drawn on the VSI at that speed"?

I noticed the magenta line today. I had a problem with the big black arrow that covers up the line, unless you are way off. Not as good as having that big lubber line floating across the middle of the HSI though.

One more great revelation that I experienced today was with my ADS-B. I had already installed the antenna wire during the build, which was way before Van came out with the official kit. Not knowing where to put an antenna, or what antenna to use, I just used another xponder stub, and placed it under the passenger side of the belly, making sure that I had at least a couple of feet separation from any other antenna interference. I did not buy the unit until this Spring, but when Van's kit came out, I was concerned that I had really screwed up on the type, and placement of the antenna. Today was the first time that I was in an ADS-B radar coverage area. To my pleasant surprise, it works great. :) Score one for Experimental Aircraft.

Tom

Tom,

I too was looking for a feature I enjoy on my Garmin 496 which was auto-zoom. As I got closer to my destination the map would get closer and more detailed. The extended center line of the runway was a great feature and did help getting lined up with the runway choice.

I haven't yet installed ADSB but I am looking forward to it's features. Thanks for your experience with yours.

I will be installing antennas in the near future and was doing some reading on location. Apparently, the transponder puts out microwaves, and is fairly powerful so it is recommended to place that antenna away from passengers and pilots.

Anyone else read or heard this?

Don't sweat it

I will be installing antennas in the near future and was doing some reading on location. Apparently, the transponder puts out microwaves, and is fairly powerful so it is recommended to place that antenna away from passengers and pilots.

Anyone else read or heard this?

The transponder antenna being on the bottom of the all-metal machine, I think you and your posterity is safe from harmful effects of microwaves.

Ray,
A transponder is at 1,090 MHz, and has an average output power of that is less than 1 watt. It does output 100W-300W while transmitting, but it transmits at a very low duty cycle. While 1,090MHz is technically "microwave", it's far off from the 2.4GHz that an actual microwave uses.

Additionally, the antenna always goes on the bottom of the plane with a ground plane that directs almost all of the energy at the ground. It's purposely designed to not transmit power up into the plane where it's wasted.

In the end, you get a lot less exposure from a transponder than you do from a cell phone, which is at 1,900 MHz and can be 0.6W right next to your head.

It is important to keep transponder antennas away from other antennas though. Getting a 200W blast every now and then into your GPS antenna makes it hard to receive the GPS signal which is about 0.000000001W when it gets to your plane.

Back