What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Handles...

kbalch

Well Known Member
I've probably been staring at this for too long, but I can't locate the AA6-063x3/4x3/4 angle called out on Page 38-13 Figure 1 for the Canopy Handles.

For that matter, I can't find a line item for that angle on the inventory sheets.

What am I missing? Where is the little bugger? :eek:

I've probably been staring at this for too long, but I can't locate the AA6-063x3/4x3/4 angle called out on Page 38-13 Figure 1 for the Canopy Handles.

For that matter, I can't find a line item for that angle on the inventory sheets.

What am I missing? Where is the little bugger? :eek:

That is a common angle used all over the kit. Check the instructions/plans and see if it says to make it out of 063x3/4x3/4x something long. This tells you it needs to be cut from a long piece of stock. Not sure if it is the same for the 14 but was often the case for my 7.

That is a common angle used all over the kit. Check the instructions/plans and see if it says to make it out of 063x3/4x3/4x something long. This tells you it needs to be cut from a long piece of stock. Not sure if it is the same for the 14 but was often the case for my 7.

Right, that was the case for my old -8, too. The -14, though, has nearly zero parts fabricated from raw stock and correspondingly less stock sitting around. I couldn't find any at all when I searched a little while ago.

OK, I found it hiding in plain sight. Amazing how parts can toggle their visibility like that... :rolleyes:

LOL Just spent 1.5 hours looking for these and finally figured out, Duh I had not fabricated them yet!

But hey my shop is nice and organized again.

A thought on these handles.

In the quest for less drag....

If the handle is parallel to the waterline of the airplane it's not actually fared into the air-stream Looking at generic wing flow patterns online and overlaying them with the RV14 wing the flow on top of the wing would have some down-wash. How much I am not sure but I saw another flow diagram that I can not find right now but was a closer shape to the RV14 wing that basically had about half the angle of airflow that was near the wing at the approximate location of the handle. It is possible to rotate the handle to approximately a 5 deg up angle without having to do major modifications other than one new hole in the handle and filling the bottom forward hole in the skin as that is now not used.

The back side of the wing has approximately a 11 deg angle so this should make a 5 deg angle at the handle about right.

I see 2 benefits.

1 water would flow off the top better when on the ground.

2 there should be juusst a little bit less drag.

Any one flying with wingtip cameras want to try some tuft filming?

Attachments

• wingflow.png
    wingflow.png
    668.3 KB · Views: 22
  • flow2.png
    flow2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
A thought on these handles.

In the quest for less drag....

Or, if you install them per plans...not aligned with the relative airflow...perhaps they serve as small vortex generators, energizing the boundary layer and helping keep airflow attached as it turns the corner and the fuselage sides begin to taper inward. Thereby reducing drag ;)

Back