What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports for trip to Chapel Hill?

Nova RV

Well Known Member
Since Horace Williams is not available anymore, can anyone suggest reasonable alternatives? Not fond of paying Signature at RDU $$$ for "handling". Was thinking BUY or TTA but they are 40 min drive.

Thx

My parents live outside Chapel Hill in Fearrington and I usually fly into Siler City, SCR. Sleepy rural airport and if they do charge, it?s $2-3 a night to tie down. Cheap fuel as well. Probably about equidistant as TTA but I like the small town vibe.

Chris

Either KTTA or KSCR are good, have fuel, and maintenance shops that are RV friendly. Each car get you a rental car, each has a crew car for reasonable time useage.

Visited my son in Raleigh a few times. First time at Chapel hill. Second and third time at RDU. It was only $10 a night at TAC Air and they waived all other fees because I bought self-serve fuel, which wasn't unreasonably priced.

Larry

Really not many airports in the area. I had a good experience at KRDU and Tac Air. Ramp was full so they tucked me into a hangar corner.

Thanks all for the info, seems like some good alternatives although IGX would have been so convenient...

Thanks all for the info, seems like some good alternatives although IGX would have been so convenient...

I flew in there many times. It?s sad the school shut it down. They wanted the space for some new buildings but there is lots of land in the area.

I flew in there many times. It?s sad the school shut it down. They wanted the space for some new buildings but there is lots of land in the area.

It is sad, but the last few years it was open they had let the place go. Flew in there many times while my daughter went to UNC-CH, it was very convenient.

The school had announced the closure almost 10 years ago and began forcing everyone out. There were delays and it stayed open longer than the school wanted but I think the looming closure is why they let it go.

Back