What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Controls Module vs Vertical Power

StarvinRV10

I'm New Here
Just getting started on my RV 10 build, so I got along ways to go before I need to worry about my avionics, but I do have questions as I'm doing some future thinking. Do both of these products offer the same thing, just that Vertical Power supports Garmin, and Advanced Controls for Dynon and Advanced?

I am not understand you I guess.

I put the Vertical Power Breaker replacement system in my 7A and I used Dynon SVs'. So I do not know the answer to your question about Vertical power only for Garmin, and Advanced only for Dynon and Advanced.

I do not think Vertical Power unit cares what EFIS or type of radios. It is an electronic breaker system and much more as seen on the EFIS.

My quicky view is the the AFS system is more like a Vertical Power and Approach Fast Stack hub combined.

If you want someone else to build the entire panel/avionics for you, it might be the easiest, with simplified wiring due to the "hub" approach.

These will be available with a complete QUICK PANEL system for the foreseeable future. Hardware/cables etc all in a bundle from Dynon/AFS.

They are more expensive but are in my opinion better. The integration with the Skyview is very nice too!

As someone who does installation work I think they are awesome. Cuts me out of some work though :D

Just getting started on my RV 10 build, so I got along ways to go before I need to worry about my avionics, but I do have questions as I'm doing some future thinking. Do both of these products offer the same thing, just that Vertical Power supports Garmin, and Advanced Controls for Dynon and Advanced?

Marvin - perhaps to further clarify some of the comments above...

Vertical Power is about... POWER control. Power in, power out, power switching.

The Advanced Control Module is about all that, PLUS interfacing your EFIS devices, radios and other equipment. The ACM is the "glue logic" that allows one box to talk to the other without you having to do a custom wiring harness from one box to another.

ECBs?

The Advanced Controls module seems slick, but does it truly offer electronic circuit breaker capabilities (the real benefit of the VPX)?

Would be glad to hear it does, though haven?t seen that clearly specified. I see what is automotive style fuses but no mention of ECB?s.

Having done one RV panel overall with a VPX and fast stack hub system, I?d love to see those integrated into an affordable single device!

The Advanced Controls module seems slick, but does it truly offer electronic circuit breaker capabilities (the real benefit of the VPX)?

Would be glad to hear it does, though haven?t seen that clearly specified. I see what is automotive style fuses but no mention of ECB?s.

Having done one RV panel overall with a VPX and fast stack hub system, I?d love to see those integrated into an affordable single device!

Yes they do. Dynon page link to the Advanced Control Module with ECB's. Started shipping in March by AFS FB post here.

control-panel.png

I currently have a VP-X Pro sitting on the shelf. I'm watching to see what goes on this year (OSH next week and all). Will I stay with the Pro or maybe go with the module. As I understand it the module is not offered as a stand alone product only included with their quick panels. I start wiring in the next few months.

Don?t overlook the option of not using either product. I?m sure they perform as advertised, but lock you into a single architect that may not support your design objectives.

Switches and breakers provide a wide range of design choice.

No flame intended,
Carl

As I understand it the module is not offered as a stand alone product only included with their quick panels. I start wiring in the next few months.

I seem to recall a post here by Rob Hickman indicating the ACM either is or is planned to be available as a stand-alone module (specifically the ECB variant). So far my searches have not been fruitful but I'll link back here if I find that post.

EDIT: Found it!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1229775&postcount=9

Also note this post which gives a really good description of the ACM and its roll in simplifying wiring.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1229658&postcount=7

Last edited:
These will be available with a complete QUICK PANEL system for the foreseeable future. Hardware/cables etc all in a bundle from Dynon/AFS.

They are more expensive but are in my opinion better. The integration with the Skyview is very nice too!

As someone who does installation work I think they are awesome. Cuts me out of some work though :D

?Awesome? - does that mean you?ve actually used/ installed one ?:)

?Awesome? - does that mean you?ve actually used/ installed one ?:)

I installed a VPX pro six years ago. I do have two friends that recently install the AFS ACM module. Both are extremely happy with their installations.

These are really an apples to oranges comparison.

I installed a VPX pro six years ago. I do have two friends that recently install the AFS ACM module. Both are extremely happy with their installations.

These are really an apples to oranges comparison.

Not being snarky...really...but who is apples and who is oranges? Has someone done a side by side detailed comparison yet? I'm not quite there yet so I have not. And I purchased the Pro before the AFS/Dynon module was available.

The AFS module with the electronic circuit breakers is kind of like the VPX and the Approach Fast Stack rolled into one box. It doesn?t have the flexibility of the Fast Stack or the features of the VPX, but it is a good option for what it does, and for a panel that is going to use the instruments that it is designed for, it should work great for you. However, already having the VPX helps you to keep on down that road.

The AFS module with the electronic circuit breakers is kind of like the VPX and the Approach Fast Stack rolled into one box. It doesn’t have the flexibility of the Fast Stack or the features of the VPX, but it is a good option for what it does, and for a panel that is going to use the instruments that it is designed for, it should work great for you. However, already having the VPX helps you to keep on down that road.

As someone that has extensive experience with all three units I would be interested in what flexibility and features you think the Advanced Control Module (ACM-ECB) is missing?

The ACM is available in two different versions, fused or electronic circuit breaker. The fused version uses lighted ATO style fuses for circuit protection. The electronic circuit breaker “ECB” version has internal circuit current monitoring and will shut off a circuit if the current is too high. With the ACM-ECB you can monitor the current of each circuit and reset any tripped circuits from the EFIS. The ACM is the main power distribution center for the aircrafts electrical system. The avionics, headsets, aircraft lights, autopilot servos, trim servos, flap motor, control sticks and panel switches all get connected to the ACM. Using the ACM with its plug and play features vastly simplifies an aircraft’s wiring and troubleshooting. The ACM also makes future upgrades extremely easy. Want to add an IFR Navigator in the future? No problem, just plug it into the ACM NAV-COM and GPS NAVIGATOR plugs. The complicated and time consuming (Audio Panel, GPS RS-232 data, NAV ARINC data and GPS ARINC) wiring is already done.

ACM Features
• 27 dedicated channels of circuit protection including: PFD, MFD, BACKUP EFIS, TRANSPONDER-ADSB, COM 1, NAV 1, COM 2, NAV 2, GPS NAVIGATOR, AUDIO PANEL, CABIN LIGHTS, DEFROST, ALTERNATOR, AUX POWER, STARTER, BOOST PUMP, PITOT HEAT, LEFT LANDING LIGHT, RIGHT LANDING LIGHT, NAV LIGHTS, STROBE LIGHTS, TRIM MOTORS, AP SERVOS, FLAP MOTOR.

ACM-ECB ONLY: BACKUP ALTERNATOR, TAXI LIGHTS, SPARE POWER CIRCUIT, CABIN LIGHT SWITCH

• Built in SV-ARINC module
• Multi Step Flap Positioning System
• Wig-Wag Lighting Circuit (airspeed controlled)
• Panel Dimmer
• Trim Controller (must have SV-AP-PANEL)
• SV Network Hub (4 Port + AP Servos)
• Panel Switch Interface with support for switch lights
• Control Stick Interface

When you are comparing pricing don't forget that the ACM includes the SV-ARINC module ($475), SV-NET-HUB ($50) and does not require the VPX license ($275) for a total savings of $800

The ACM-ECB can be purchased with the harnesses, email [email protected] for a package quote. The module is priced at $2,750 in the package.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems / Dynon Avionics

Last edited:
Back