What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy trimming question

jaypee

I've been trimming my canopy per the threads and websites on the subject- starting at the front and lowering it on the windshield bow keeping it contoured to the skin. As the canopy lowered onto the bow spacer (sika plans), I started trimming the sides and rear. As the sides came up and I was able to clamp them to the frame, I found that closing the large 3/4" gap at the rear caused the "corners" at the front to pop up about 1/4 inch...:eek:. This makes sense if you have that foresight thing which I'm not gifted with.

Anyway, now my careful fit around the front is no more. Should I just press on and make the transverse cut and worry about it later when the windscreen is attached? At this point I'm not sure there is much else to do.
Any insights will be appreciated.

Jerald King
RV8
Tucson

Not an 8 builder

I just finished cutting my canopy, though it was a 7 not an 8. I know the canopies are very different, but what is likely not different, is the fact that after the big cut is made splitting the canopy, the fit changed completely. It actually became much easier to fit. I say make the transverse cut and then worry about the fit.
Though it may be best to wait until an 8 builder chimes in.

Best,

Ben

I made the big cut two months ago and like Ben said it makes a big deference in how the canopy fits. After I got the canopy to fit descent from front to back I made the cut and the whole thing went from pretty good to almost perfect. Like you I read all the posts I could find on the subject and a lot of the repeat a fenders recommended making the big cut sooner than Vans says to. Hope this helps.

Gracias

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go ahead and set up for the big slice, then. At this point there probably isn't much else to do as the front does not have any extra to trim at this point anyway, right?

Cutting canopy sure makes a mess doesn't it?

Jerald
RV8
Tucson

different tool...

Not that it makes a big difference now, and I assume you are using the cut off wheels per Vans, but I think the oscillating cutters (i.e. Fein Multimaster and similar) are a much cleaner way to cut the canopy. I have never cut a canopy with a wheel, though I did play around with a scrap just for comparison. The oscillating (or cast cutter as doctors call them) made WAY less mess, and was less crack prone than the cutoff wheel method. My buddy who just finished his 7 was with me when I cut my canopy with the cast cutter, and he couldn't believe how much better it was compared to the wheel. He did comment that he thought the wheel was faster, but not enough to make it worth the mess.

Best,

Ben

I tried a different tool, a rotozip. It didn't work well for me. I went back to using the cut off disc VAN's likes. I got much straighter, smoother cuts.
Yes, it's messy, but the canopy turned out fine. :)

The oscillating tool didn't work for me. I know lots of people love them but for me it didn't work. My compressor ran out of wind too quickly with the die grinder/cut off wheel. My dremel got really hot. So what seemed to work was this harbor freight flexible shaft rotary tool:
http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

Also used the rotozip type tool with a cutoff wheel, but missed the variable speed (cheap tool). That thing does cut quickly using a 3" wheel though.

Gil came by to take a look at my canopy and seemed to think its going ok but suggested I spread the rear of the frame a little so the plexi isn't fastened under too much stress. He always seems to have a better idea than I do.

Jerald King
RV8
Tucson

Back